Saturday project

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Received a call yesterday from a commercial site we maintain stating " I think we have a broken head" Stopped by the site and I see water running from the ground. I dig down and see a crack in a 2" 90.
    [​IMG]

Uncover and I find a 2" main coming up under the road and branching off into another 3" main in both directions. The main looks like it is not lined up correctly and cracked the 2" 90.

[​IMG]

This site is a multi tenant property and whenever a new tenant builds on the site the 3" main always takes a hit. The 3" main has been patched back together many times by whoever has some glue and pipe. I recommended that we put a 2" master valve on the system because of all the patch work done on the 3" main.
    Since I already was going to repair the cracked 90, I went ahead and installed a 2" PEB master valve just so the system would not have a 100 plus GPM blowout and if it does have a main line leak I will find it on my monthly service call.

[​IMG]
    This picture really shows how off line the 3" main really was.
    When I cut all 3 lines loose I found out that either the 3" main on the left was not lined up correctly from the original install or it had moved a few inches and cracked the 2" 90. The main on the right was fine, I think it really needs a thrust block at the 3" 90 into the 2" but that is the location where the 2" comes up under the road and would be a nightmare if it ever broke under the the road at the sleeve.

The purple primmer really shows up in the pics...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

All cleaned up and back in business....

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We find that misaligning of lines on larger commercial projects putting excess stress on fittings is sometimes caused by crews working towards each other and not having things lined out correctly. Can also be caused when someone is working towards/backwards to a sleeve or unsleeved line already under hardscaped areas. Then when they meet they're misaligned and force a fitting. Why would they care since once their liability period is over it's someone else that will have to come in and do the dirty work? Even if there's a slight leak after the initial install it often goes undetected... IF the project is even inspected. Then when the crack gets bigger the shoddy workmanship is discovered and they're long gone.

The bigger the pipe... the less flex. Misaligned trenches lead to forced fittings. When we work with large pipe we always set out a string line and paint/chalk the trench line to avoid undue pressure on the pipe/fittings by making sure that changes in direction are squared off. The larger the fitting the more prone it is to failure. I've seen statistics (or maybe just claims) where larger fittings fail quicker than smaller ones due to the amount of water that flows through them. They can even predict which side of a fitting will fail based on direction of flow. This is why some large projects require heavier scheduled fittings or even mechanical fittings with restraint devices.

3. PurpHaze

BTW... Nice pics London and thanks for sharing. Is the pipe REALLY purple in the one pic though or is my eyesight getting worse by the minute? :)

4. PurpHaze

BTW/BTW... Nice Beckson pump. Beats a "suck tube" since you have an outlet hose that can be run away from the hole. :)

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with the Beckson pump is that it sucks rocks and craps out pretty quick.

Great pics London. Those type of repairs were my favorite.

Good clean up too.

6. Thanks for the input on the larger pipe. I made sure there was no forced stress on any of the fittings I repaired. Once you work with 2" and 3" and larger pipe then the 1" is like tinker toy pipe..lol

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Looking back that the picture, there is still a scary large amount of misalingment between the 3" and your 2" that you could have prevented with your quadruple 90's.

EDIT: Looked again, nevermind you did turn the first 90. Good job.

8. PurpHaze

He did it right and good thing you edited. I was REALLY ready to make some snide comment about you being out of the large pipe trenches too long already. :laugh:

9. PurpHaze

That's why I call it "dinky pipe" and "ha-ha" for that black stuff. Nothing against it at all as it works great for "dinky projects" that I don't get involved in although I do use a "dinky trencher" that can handle up to 3" glued pipe if necessary. :)

10. PurpHaze

London... What about the purple pipe? Is it just a picture coloring anomaly or did you use "reclaimed water" pipe?