SaturDAYS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, May 23, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well, do you guys like to cut on saturdays? i had to cut this saturday becuase of all the rain on friday, and well, i gained quite a few customers (mostly because they were home on a saturday).... so i think im going to start cutting on saturday. what do you guys think. I will still cut my bigger lawns and commercial accts. on thursday or friday, but i will save the majority for saturday. because most people are home on saturday and are at work on friday.

good idea, or bad idea?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

bad idea I think. Only do residential lawns if you have to on Saturdays like if really far behind or because of rain delays. I feel that its ok to do commerical lawns, but most residential home owners don't want someone on their lawn on the weekends.

3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

i guess so. but if i gained 3 lawns a week by cutting on saturday, that would be worth it if my existing customers would be fly with it.

i gained 3 yesterday, so thats $55 more per week. so if i could gain 3 more each week then it would be worth it, again, only if customers would be fly with it.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Working Saturdays is not an option, as of late. Neither is sundays. I've never had a complaint about working on a Saturday, most people welcome getting cut on that day. When I'm behind, people understand working Sundays. When I've done aerations on saturday, I've found I get a lot of walk up work. BTW, I picked up 3 new customers this weekend from walk up neighbors.

:D

5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

yeppers, i think im going to start cutting the majority of lawns on sat.

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If im behind i will cut on Saturdays no problem.I see a lot of companies out on Saturdays doing residential lawns.I havnt had anyone complain, i actually have a few who prefer it so the grass is nice and short all weekend.The way its been the past few weeks working on Saturday has become normal.

7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

well thanks for the imput, im going to start cutting my residentals on saturdays from now on. i figure if i gain 3 per week, like this week, that is at leat an extra $720 per month. so its a gamble, and i know some weeks i wont gain any customers, and then some weeks i might gain well over 3. but thanks for the input, im gonna start cutting on saturdays this coming week.

figure cut 16 on saturday and the rest on the thursday or friday before that saturday. :)

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I only cut on saturdays if i'm backed up. i saw way too many people out on sunday today. it was like every turn there was another lawn company. area is getting saturated with them.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I mow most of my accounts during the week so that the customer has the property looking good for the weekend. Last thing they want is you there mowing the lawn while they have 5-10 guests at a BBQ on the back porch. Now with that said, during the spring and fall when people aren't so "social" and summer isn't in full swing, I would say mowing on saturday is okay. I mow on saturdays right now because I can't physically do all of them during the week with school and everything. I don't choose to mow on sunday either, but I did have to go out today and finish up the end of the week after all the rain we've been having. If you show up sunday because of a rain delay the customer will usually understand and be thankful that you came. Overall opinion, don't mow on saturdays or sundays unless you have to.

10. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Luckily I'm not working a packed schedule---but I'm out there trying to fill it up. Sure, everyone would love a real weekend in this business but let's face it--it ain't gonna happen for the most of us--certainly not in the Spring! I complain about the rain, alot lately, but until the late July "drought" I should be sailing fairly smooth. (At least that's what I keep telling myself, LOL)

I've never had a complaint working a saturday or sunday. I've had devout Jewish folks ask not to have work done on saturday, same thing with some Christian folks on sundays. No problemo! Easier on me and my schedule. Over the years to keep mowing accounts in line I've mowed Labor Day, the Fourth of July, and Memorial Day. No skin off my back but I did call in advance to see if it would interfere with any family gatherings/celebrations. Again, being turned down on those holidays lightened my load.

Like mtdman said, I've picked up quite a bit of work being dedicated to my clientele. The conversation starts with "Wow, you must really be behind..." and I go on to explain that I'm not that far behind, just trying to make sure I can get everyone back on schedule. It's a great selling point "going above and beyond" what Company X has to offer.

Hmm, trying to think how many real 2 day weekends I've had during Spring, Summer, and Fall in the last 18 years...Not many, that's for sure. The few 3 day holiday weekends I've had cost me bigtime in double cuts, more rain, etc.