Save gas and tires!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Mar 20, 2003.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I just thought I would spread a little knowledge I picked up in the tire biz.

Run your tires at 40 psi instead of 30 psi like everyone says. (as long as the tire can take that much pressure)

I learned this from an older gentleman that was a regular at the shop. he always said to make sure he had 40 psi in his Goodyear Regata tires. The tires had 70k miles on them and still had 4/32 tread left. 3/32 is passable for inspection. No kidding he showed me the receipt of when he had them put on.

You lose a little bit of your soft ride but I would say it's worth it.

Of course the manufacture isn't going to tell you that because they will loose tire sales.

anyway...

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

If you run a higher air pressure, you are putting more ground pressure in the center of the tire, causing the center to wear faster.
    If you run too low of an air pressure, you are putting extra stress on the side walls and outer edges of the tread.

Tire use and abuse is what is going to determine tire life. Well, and quality of tire.

3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

Check the max rating on the side of tire before you add air. Most tires do best at max inflation but it depends how they fit on the wheel too. Too much air and a narrow wheel will cause the tire to crown.

The biggest problem I have with tire wear is when I'm pulling my trailer. The rears get eaten up much quicker than the fronts with all the added weight.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you are running stock tires and wheels go with what is printed on the drive's side doorframe. Check your tire pressure regularly and keep the vehicle in alignment and you should do fine with tire life.

Gravely_Man

5. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I sold tires for a few years a while back.... one mistake MANY people make is they think that the max inflation posted on the sidewall is what should be in the tire.... WRONG!
    That is the max inflation pressure for the tire..... The load it will carry at that pressure is also on the sidewall.... do some math to figure out that MAX is not usually necessary.

For example... I used to have a Jeep CJ-5 which ran 30" x 9.5" x 15 LT tires..... At MAX inflation of 50 PSI, EACH tire would hold 1990 lbs.... Now, there's no way this Jeep weighed 7,960 lbs.

SO,

I used this trick for finding an ideal pressure to run those at:
    - Park the vehicle on a SMOOTH, LEVEL surface (garage floor is ideal).
    - Have the vehicle loaded as it is usually run (Fuel, Occupants, Tools, etcc.....)
    - Now.. starting at the MAX pressure, or close to it, slowly reduce pressure until you can just barely slip a business card along under the absolute outer edge of where the tread touches the floor.
    -Record the PSI for front/rear so it's easy to set again later.

This will help find a base point to work from..... adjust up or down slightly to correct handling / loading situations.

MAKE SURE TIRES ARE COOL WHEN CHECKING PRESSURE

BTW... Although the MAX psi for the tires on my Jeep was 50 psi... It rode best with most even tire wear when set around 22-25 psi... quite a difference!