Save my wife's peace lilly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My wife's peace lilly was very healthy when she brought it home some time ago. It had blooms and all. But since being here it has only produced one new bloom and it appears the older leaves are dieing off.

We have tried quite a few things, none of which have helped. My wife removed some leaves from it today. Here is a picture. Any advised would be very helpful
    :help:

2. Envy Lawn Service

:mad: Here's the pic...

peacelilly1.jpg

3. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

It looks to have too much water and a northern exposure is the best. They do not like all that much light or bright light.

Hope this helps. Had to turn to ma for that one!

Andy

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The brown tips on the leaves is caused by too little humidity.
    Mist the leaves frequently.

When watering, make sure the water flows through the bottom of the pot and make sure you empty the saucer under the plant.

Some leaves will yellow as they age.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Thanks guys. She says she waters it good once per week. She was misting the leaves as I suggested she do. But she quit because she didn't feel it was helping. Also, the location in the house where it sits is not lighted well.

Our house is very tight and dry. Plus it doesn't help that we heat with a heat pump. I think a more humid climate would certainly help personally.

6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Repot it into a bigger pot,peace lillies quickly outgrow there pots.When it rains leave it outside without a saucer under it in the rain,it does wonders for house plants.They usually flower only once a year,the plants you bring home from a nursery have often been induced to flower outside there natural flowering times,some times it takes a while for them to get back to there natural cycle.

7. Envy Lawn Service

BigJim,

I have something outside catching freezing rain right now:(
    I'll bring it in later so it can thaw and warm to room temperature.

It has been re-potted 3 times since it was brought home. The first time it was in serious need of it. According to what info I found, I feared it was suffering root rot. But luckly that didn't seem to be the case. It just needed a much larger pot. I don't know about now...

8. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

In a situation like this what needs to happen is. Flush the existing soil(sit the pot in the bath tub and or garden hose) and run water through it for a few minutes). Scrape the top 1" of soil and transplant into new soil, usually a bigger pot also. You need to check for thrips in new leaves, check the roots also, to see if they are dark and dying. It could be several things. Phytopthora-root rot, leaves usually wilt though??? If the soil is locked up because of over fertilization, your plant will show all kinds symptoms....... How often is she fertilizing and how much????? It might be soil lock up. Try transplanting 1st and let us know what happens. You might want to treat it with a fungicide also, but read the label(curative rate). I know you are going to want to add more because of the way the plant looks, but this could actually do more harm. 2cs I re-read the posts it might be the environment(too dry):confused:

Are the new leaves folding together at the margin?

9. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm,they are tough plants,I have a sadly neglected one on top of my computer.Its been so dry in the summer it nearly whizzled up,its come back to life again and I've had it outside for 2 days in the rain,it looks great now,its even got one flower.As its winter there the other obvious thing is is it too cold were it is?.Anyway if it doesn't buck up bin it and get a new one.

images spath.jpg

10. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

All good ideas!! but I agree with Big Jim....if it doesn't pick up toss it in the trash and buy a new one.

Something else you could try. I cut a customers of mine right back to soil level. I grew back in no time and look wonderfull right now. But with it being so cold I would wait just a little

My 2cs

Aza:alien: