1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Save The Scag - It is Now Toast - Literally

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjm123a, Dec 2, 2012.

1. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Got to do some work today in between helping my son with his motorcycle. I have changed the oil and oil filter in the engine. I got a new hydro oil filter, put some oil in it and on the seal and screwed it on. I installed the main pulley. Put some anti-seize lubricant on it and it went on pretty easy. I put some blue loctite on the set screws. I also installed the electric clutch. The pulley and the clutch were from the donor motor. I started it up and the pulley spins smoothly. Have not yet put any load on anything or tried the clutch. I have also started working on the seat. I have parts form 3 different seats. Between the 3 I hope to build a useable seat. I am starting with the seat mounting plate from the burned mower because it is the straightest. The cushions will come from the donor mower. Hopefully they will look a little better on some straighter metal parts.

IMG_0807.jpg

seats.JPG

plate.jpg

2. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

will be rebuilding a Kawasaki FH721V 25 HP That I already have. This guy called me yesteday 7:30 am and said he was going out of Business and had the scag and alot of parts. Belts and belt racks filters and alot of other stuff. So I told him I will Take it all.

3. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Hi John, Sounds like quite a find. I probably would've done the same thing. Good luck with the rebuild. I have to tell you that while it may not always be what most people would call fun, it really can be quite rewarding.

4. teckjohn

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep us posted on the progress John.:waving:

6. teckjohn

To confirm everything else is good

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Man....this is confusing...I thought I was looking at pics from the burned out mower renovation..
    Talk about HiJacking a thread.....

8. teckjohn

Sorry for the post

9. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

No need to apologize John. This can be the SCAG rebuild thread. Actually one of your pictures confirmed for me how the throttle cabling should be routed. I missed taking that picture before I disassembled. I also note that whomever pulled the original engine on this was pretty neat. Left all the stuff that needs to be attached right there. Looks to me like with an engine it'd be ready to go pretty quickly. If you need any parts along the way let me know as I've managed to accumulate a few extras.

10. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Still working on the seat. Taking longer than I thought.

IMG_0816.jpg