Save The Scag - It is Now Toast - Literally

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjm123a, Dec 2, 2012.

  1. ed2hess

    ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 13,075

    I guess that one little piece to the left is arm rest. Might as well just engr youself a new better suppor their aren't strong enough.
     
  2. pjm123a

    pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL
    Posts: 141

    Hi Ed - yep that is what it is. Still evaluating seat options. I did order new cushions. My original ones of course are completely gone. I think I have maybe a spring left. On the donor because of the twisting when it got wrecked the plywood cracked in various places including where the grommets are for the bolts to go into that hold the cushions to the seat pan. So basically I ended up with no options for cushions. I found a new seat cushion and backrest cushion on ebay for $159 for both so I'm going with that. In the meantime, I've turned my attention back to the engine to wrap it up. I now consider it complete right down to the air cleaner. It starts and runs and idles real nice. The only thing I have not been able to do yet is test it under load, but I don't anticipate any problems with that. I am real happy with how it turned out. The only way you would know that it didn't come from the factory this way is that the air cleaner is slightly tilted. This is because my original engine was a Kohler and the replacement a Kawasaki. Since the mounting parts are different I had to go with the donor's mounting parts and one bracket was slightly bent. This doesn't seem to impact anything other than the looks. I think it adds character :)

    IMG_0823.jpg
     
  3. ed2hess

    ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 13,075

    I would try to move that fuel filter further away from the muffler...if that is what I see in the photo.
     
  4. LawnGuy73

    LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,945

    The fuel filter is no where near the muffler....
     
  5. blabarre

    blabarre LawnSite Member
    Posts: 80

    Looks great pjm! If u can upload videos you ought to post one of the mower running.
    Posted via Mobile Device
     
  6. Landrus2

    Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,811

    Hey PJM that was a hell of a project. How many hours it took so far :waving:
     
  7. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 14,700

    I would pop those valve covers off and give them a little buffing. They look kinda nasty against all of that new paint.
     
  8. dboyd351

    dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,099

    Very, very nice work!:clapping:
     
  9. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,776

    Have you thought about just buying a new seat? Maybe upgrading to a suspension seat?



    ...........
     
  10. pjm123a

    pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL
    Posts: 141

    Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement. Some responses:

    The fuel filter is up by the valve cover (upper left) where it was when the engine was on the donor. The thing in the lower right hand corner next to the clamp is just a label I wrapped around the control cable. I did this so I could keep track of the throttle and choke cable to make sure I re-connected them properly.

    I tried to upload a video to the site but it wouldn't take it. I have uploaded a video to youtube. You can hear it here: http://youtu.be/MHqSEr2XxsU

    I have no idea how many hours I have into this. I never had any intent to track the hours. I've felt like I was on a mission ever since I started this. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 50 or 60 hours.

    I actually have a spare set of valve covers and was going to do some polishing but these scags have a large metal bracket/bumper that goes across the back of the thing. I will be putting on a newly painted one. Once that is on you will never see the valve covers unless you want to to.

    I already have parts from 3 seats so I want to try to use them. I did order new cushions.

    Latest update:

    I installed the correct new battery. This one sits in the box rather than on it! I also re-connected all the hyrdo lines and replaced some hose clamps. I did not have much luck with cheapo hose clamps. I was just not happy with them stripping before they were completely tight. I ended up getting some Breeze hose clamps. They are what were originally on there. These Breeze clamps are quality. The cheapo ones may work for some applications but I am much happier with the Breeze ones on these hydro lines. I also filled the hydro tank with fresh 20W50. The rear end is now in the air. I will next be hooking up the drive belt. After that I will be ready to see if the wheels turn.
     

Share This Page