1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Save The Scag - It is Now Toast - Literally

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjm123a, Dec 2, 2012.

1. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Another major milestone! The mower now moves under its own power. Could not do too much testing since I had to ride it standing on it but I took it for a spin around the driveway. Moves smoothly both forwards are backwards. What I did to get it going:

1. Ran it forwards and backwards with the dump valves partially open and wheels off the ground.
    2. Ran it on the ground same way. It moved but slowly.
    3. After moving around that way for a while closed the dump valves and it moves normally

No moaning and groaning and (so far at least) no leaks!

Will do some more testing when I put the seat together and get all the stubbed out safety switches either wrapped with electrical tape or (hopefully) properly connected.

Called it a day and popped open a Cold Corona - Cheers!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We need a freakin Like button. There are other versions of VB that have them.

You're doing a very nice job and I think you should both be proud of the job you've done and very happy with your "new" mower. :usflag:

3. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

Powered by vBulletinĀ® Version 3.8.6 is the version they run here... and the newest version is vBulletin 5 Connect and a plugin was added to allow FB Likes and the version they are running here is the same one I run and I purchased mine so it cost everytime you upgrade

4. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Thanks Richard!

The seat cushions were delivered today. This weekend is shaping up as a pretty busy one, but I'm gonna try to get the seat put together.

IMG_0837.jpg

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't forget more pictures:waving:

6. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

I now have a seat mounted on the mower. It is not perfect but is quite serviceable. I used a combination of refinished burned parts and straight enough donor parts. I still have to finish off the arm rests but other than that the seat is done. I have connected everything on wiring harness except the clutch. All the safety switches work as they should. Attached are some pics.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

7. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

If anybody is still following this, the mower proper is pretty much done. I'm having lots of fun driving it around the driveway. Time to turn it back into a real mower though. For that it needs a deck so that is what I'm going to work on next. Pics show the starting point.

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

... yes, following every time a new post goes up! This is one of the best LS threads, ever. Kudos for your efforts, passion, and documentation of the project.

From what I can understand, the mowing deck is the last remaining piece for a complete machine, right?

9. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Really nice job. I to have been following and i thought it was headed for scrap yard. But you proved me weong. again nice job. Once you are totally dine could you post you total cost and man hours invested.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, same here. Following, proved me wrong, and would love to know costs and hours!