1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Save The Scag - It is Now Toast - Literally

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjm123a, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

using an air compressor if you put the nozzle slightly under the grip and spray they slide right on.
  2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fantastic work and persistence PJM. I guess I'm a little late to suggest it, but if you ever have to do it again you might want to hang that deck from a chainfall so you can easily get to both sides.
    I really admire your tenacity in getting this done.:clapping:
  3. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Thank you Dboyd. Work on the deck has slowed down a bit. Got wrapped up with a few other things but I hope to be working on the deck this week. My new spindle did come in. I have all 3 spindles and one pulley installed on the deck now.

4. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Had a chance to do some more work.
    All spindles are on the deck now. The blades are on as well and spin smoothly. Two of the idlers are on as well. The main idler bracket is cleaned up. Also while I was waiting for some paint to dry, I cleaned up the ROPS fasteners, installed the ROPS and new seat belt. Things are coming together and I hope to be joining the deck back to the mower over the next couple of days!

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great but that seat looks f'd up!
  6. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Yeah, I know about the seat. I have a plan for that. I have the original seat pan that is perfectly straight but developed a crack a few years ago so I replaced it because I don't know how to weld so I could not fix it. My plan is to learn how to weld, buy a welder and fix the pan. Its been sitting around of a couple of years now. One of these days......
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Welding is pretty easy with the new wire feed welders. I bought a little flux core one a couple of years ago that's great for repairs. The only problem is you get a lot of spatter, but it's easy enough to clean up with an angle grinder.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

The seat pan on my old lazer cracked as well, and was flexing alot, The pans are so thin they don't really respond well to welding, they usually just crack again, I ended up buying some little metal support braces and doing that instead.
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just do yourself some justice and buy a suspension seat for it and enjoy the ride!:)

10. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point! I think he's earned it.