Save The Scag - It is Now Toast - Literally

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjm123a, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Good job nice. Where did you get that fire extinguisher mount or did you make it?

2. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Congratulations!!!! You are to be commended for your passion in doing this project, as well as the skill in order to make it all happen. Was getting the donor machine the one thing instrumental in moving the project along, and making it possible? Yes, all those parts could have been bought across the counter. But, it may have made the entire project financially unreasonable.

Or, was that another single happening, or acquisition, that was very important?

I'm sure you enjoy the machine now even more than before the fire. Happy mowing!

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Excellent Job ! The before and after pic is great ! Good luck with your "new" machine

5. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

:clapping::dancing:Thumbs Up:clapping::clapping:Thumbs UpThumbs UpThose last 2 pictures tell the whole story!
    Congratulations!!! Excellent work!:drinkup:

6. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

It just occurred to me.. you should have painted it fire engine red!

7. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Thanks Guys. Roger, finding the donor machine made it happen sooner. As you say, it would not have made sense to do the rebuild buying all new parts at retail across the counter. Would've been cheaper to just buy a new mower and part out what was left to recover some of the cost of the new mower. That was never my plan, however. I would've scoured ebay, craigslist, etc for replacement parts and it would've taken a lot longer that way but still be possible. Time was never a factor. I was prepared to work on this literally for years.

8. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Jersey

cool! read whole thread. nice job! how does it work after 2 seasons or so?

9. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, lets have a follow-up. Is it still cutting good?

10. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

It is still running great. In fact mowed a couple of acres today. Yep, the grass is still growing in SW Florida. Other than routine maintenance I have done the following: Replaced a brake band, replaced the PTO switch (thought it was the clutch for a while - whew!), replaced a tire (I've gotten pretty good at mounting tires by hand), (re)tightened one of the motor mount bolts. Also I replaced the crooked seat pan with an old metal fatigued seat pan that my neighbor welded for me with his harbor freight welder. He did a pretty good job. The seat is still far from perfectly straight but it is better than before.

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg