SAVE this lawn! *PICS*

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jsullivanlw, May 30, 2009.

1. jsullivanlw

jsullivanlw LawnSite Member
    from FL

This client wants me to fix her lawn. There is not much grass its mostly weeds. Suggentions, opinions, prices? Thanks in advance.:)

iphon photos 5-30-09 183.jpg

iphon photos 5-30-09 184.jpg

iphon photos 5-30-09 185.jpg

iphon photos 5-30-09 191.jpg

iphon photos 5-30-09 193.jpg

2. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

Rip it all up and sod it. Put some planting beds around the trees and charge her hourly plus a markup on the materials.

3. jsullivanlw

jsullivanlw LawnSite Member
    from FL

What do I use to rip it up. Never laid sod before either.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a sod cutter. You should be able to rent one. It will cut the grass just below the root line and in nice sheets making removal easy. So the machine rental and disposal should be in your estimate as well. Then you can either seed the area but me not being familiar with Florida growing season it may be too early for that. Sod would give the client faster results obviously. And it is very quick to lay.

5. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire an excavation contractor to come in and scrape the ground clean and take out enough fill to add 3" of compost. Have that same contractor grade the surface and spread out the compost.

After that order how ever many pallets of bitter blue St. Augustine sod you need and lay it.

You need to ensure that your joints are tight when you lay it and don't have any running bonds.

After you have laid the sod, put down some milorganate.

7. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Till it rake it topdress and seed! They will be happier in the end! Does not look like a huge job.

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no seed for St. Augustine grass and the other seeds just don't work. I have yet to see a seed job that has worked here in FL.

9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Don't want to be cruel, but can they afford a redo? You're talking major bucks in excess of $1500 to rent equipment, hire help, and re sod and irrigation. St. Augustine is nearly $200/450sq.ft. palette. Sod will die if not irrigated and kept wet for a week or more. Around those trees are great places for mulch beds. Lay down landscape fabric and mulch and border and place some great stones, bird bath, and potted plants and shade tolerant vegetation. Don't forget to add a reasonable profit margin.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Skip trying to do grass under those big trees. You'll never be able to establish a new lawn.

Landscape it.