1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Save Time With Your Design & Bids

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by landscapedesignpros, Feb 8, 2006.

1. landscapedesignpros

landscapedesignpros LawnSite Senior Member

After being contacted by a couple of you after one of our customers posted our web site under a topic called "design tips" We thought we might want to offer some more light on the original topic because it did get side tracked as to the legalitality of our company and other compnies that offer similar services. This post is ment to help clear up any miss understandings regarding "online design" companies.
    Yes, there are a number of online design companies that either are unawear or just dont care in regards to different states individual laws regarding landscape design. I will be first to admit that very few online design companies can actualy offer services to all 50 states and keep all work in house. I know that we are not that company. Our company has a working relationship with over 40 states. While there are a couple of states that we either wont do bussiness in or farm out projects for, we do try to help out our customers in any way we can.

Now we would like to offer this time saveing tip to all of the contractors out there, weather you use our company or any of the other well qualified online design companys out there, it can help to save you many hours of time. As I am sure that you are well awear of Time = Money, So why not save all of that busey after hours work for some one that does it all day every day as a full time job. this is where an Online design company can help to give you more time to spend with your fmaily or out on a job actualy working where you can make more money.

Please lets not dicuss the legality of an online design company but rather the idea of farming out your design work to help save time and put money in your pocket. Also lets refrain from relating this to my company only b/c if we can keep this topic general and to the idea behind it i think it will benifit every one much more. I look forward to hearing every ones idea and appericate your responses

Landscape Design Professionals
  2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Nick, what is the advantage of using an online design company versus one of the many local designers that can meet and greet the client and get a first hand look at the property and the surrounding community.

I agree with you that installers can save time and money by contracting out their design work to a company whose business is creating designs, and often times getting a more complete or elaborate design package. Most designers are more familiar with design theory, horticulture, soils, drainage, pest & disease problems and presentation than the typical installer and that can be a huge benefit to the installer and the client.

3. landscapedesignpros

the advantaces are basicly the same, except you are useing some one that is not in your area. In other words you dont ahve to worrie about loseing business from them. in addition i know that most design companys, and or landscape design companys that are here localy, only will give you the design and plant lists, where as from a company like ours you get the plan the plant lists, a materials list that tells you how much of what material that you need, like brick, block, sand, mortar ect. This type of information makes bidding a breeze, you just take the quantiy and times it by what you charge. In addition to this you get what we call a plant book. IT has full color pictures, plant information, and plant care. this is really a great deal closer for alot of our clients. Dont get me wrong. If you have a local designer that can visit your site with you and give you the same as a company like ours then i would recomend useing the local guy every day of the week. It is easer to deal direct with a person on site as opposied to some one through the computer. but we have found that there are alot of poeple whos local deaigners dont give them the extras as well as are associaded with an actualy install company which can some times cause problems.

4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

i feel that the measuring and giving you adequate information as to locations of house and concrete etc.. I am half way to having a plan already made. Adding the beds and plantings is the easier half of the work for me. JMO
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

One reason to stick with a local designer is that in different parts of the country we spell differently. We would not want to have a client who does not understand those regional differences when reading the lettering on a plan. They might mistake this for ignorance.

some one that
  6. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

*added to meet 10 letter quota*
  7. landscapedesignpros

I didn’t realize that spelling on this site was as important as the content of the topics being discussed. There are such things as spell check, which since I am dyslexic I use spell check on a very regular basis. Since I am busy working and chose to post rather quickly I was not that concerned with using spell check. I will be sure not to post again unless I have enough time to throughly make sure that my spelling and grammar is correct. I totaly agree with you that bad spelling is a sign of ignorance but jumping to conclusions about people is much more ignorant so in the future I might advise you to think before you post and I will use spell check before I post.

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I did not think you to be ignorant. I thought it was regional. I see our Canadian (or some spell it Canadien) posters spell colour and flavour.

There are a lot of people with a lot of needs and you are filling somebody's need. There is no harm in that. But you really should be careful while you promote the company not to discredit it in the process.