Save your Winter money Now - Priority One!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Apr 24, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just as a reminder to all who get so excited, yes this is a very happening time of the year and it is so easy to get carried away with the big deposits one always wants to spend, spend, spend... You don't have to tell me, I know all about it.

Year after year I learned if not the most important lesson then certainly one of them is to ALWAYS save next winter's money FIRST, no matter what! I understand you need fuel and if you have to have a mower because you do not have one that works ok, but I am telling you get the money in the bank for winter by June and you have no problems the rest of the year... Ok, at least you have less problems and I mean a lot less.

Having the winter money saved by June (well yeah earlier is even better) means:
    - No sweating July and August due to heat and drought.
    - Take it or leave it and thank you all day long.
    - Come September, a casual last run for the money to top things off but really, no problem.
    - Buy equipment later with the extra overflow, now it's cash paid in full and thanks again.

And the most important reason:
    - LEAF SEASON!!! LEAVES !!! LEAVES AAarrrgrghhhh if you do not have your winter money by the time leaves start to fall, you will fall into slavery and drudgery by doing one of the dirtiest, nastiest jobs for cheap and I mean dirt cheap! You will hate life, guaranteed... Money in the bank means 'me do leaves only if I get paid enough' (translation: guys without the money get to do the bulk of it).

LOL I done learned this one, thought I'd pass it along.

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

or just chill all season and have enough momney for the winter from fall cleanups

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

EXCELLENT advice topsites:cool2: :weightlifter: :usflag:

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right on the money, no pun intended. I was just telling my foreman to sock a little away for winter while it was busy. I think that is great advice for everyone, I just wish it was as easy as it sounds.:laugh:

5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

If You Do Online Banking, You Can Have Your Bank Automatically Put Money Into Your Savings Account Each Week, Biweekly Or Once A Month. Right Now I'm Doing Over $9,000 A Month. I Only Need $3,000 A Month To Live, So That Gives Me $6,000 A Month To Save, I'm Putting Away $5,000 Each Month Leaving $1,000 In The Bank For Whatever.

From April - Oct I'll Have $20,000 - $35,000 In The Bank, So When Winter Gets Here, I Dont Have To Really Do Anything. Jan-feb Is When I Vacation.

But Good Advice If You Can Save, My First 3-4 Yrs I Never Had Money Cause I Was Paying Bills, Now Everything I Have Is Paid For, Except The House. So I Am Able To Put Back, But In The Beginning I Wasnt, So Dont Worry New Guys It Gets Better

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is hard the first year, I do not know if this is good advice for these guys because in my first year I'm just lucky I survived so if you have enough going on then do what you got to do first but still think of saving.

My second year I SAVED and man it was smooooooooth. It was so smooth, I refused a lot of leaf cleanup work.
    My third year I was feeling so good from how well the 2nd year went, I got messed up. You can try and make things up with fall cleanups, but the problem with leaves is if you don't have the winter money saved, you will feel that desperation (well I did) and you are more likely to end up being had. - Leaves is the worst of the worst, sorry to say it but the one sentence that really sums it up is 'EVERYBODY will call you for leaves.' I got done and it was dirty, almost as bad as my first year.

My fourth year was a good year but I spent most of April-June filling up gaping financial holes left by an almost disastrous third year (over-confidence will do you everytime), thou I did manage to get my winter money in sometime during August (whew!). And yup, man it was smoooooooth. Once again, cherry picked the leaf cleanups and still had enough work to last into mar '06.

This year, I got some issues but 3.5k in the bank and all I need is 5k and that's my winter money (boy we have some financial spreads here) either way, I plan on having the 5k first, thou some bills have to be paid too, still I should be ok but again, save it first, worry about spending later.

7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until you have some kidZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    5K is NOTHING......
    And we have a small house.....................

Gotta love the KIDZ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

8. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. 5k covers enough for one month of milk and food for a kid! :)

9. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

And diapers, clothes that are outgrown REAL quick, doctors and dentists, school fees, birthday gifts for every party they get invited to, swim lessons, piano lessons...I think you get it.
    I try and have 10g saved by September. The key word is "try"

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

not to raise bones, but........i have heard this same line of thinking, but mostly from guys who can't get paid on time. why on earth are u thinking about jan + feb money?october, noveber + december are big months. oh, wait, i think i got it.......u have no clue when your clients will pay you, for oct, nov + dec. yup, iv'e seen it before, these guys go into hibernation asap, "just in case" thier clients don't feel like paying. how sad