Saving time on data entry

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by zturncutter, Feb 18, 2010.

1. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys do to make your data entry into your bookkeeping system quicker and easier. Do you use one gas card, can you down load that info? Do you use a clipboard and just take your daily receipts into your office and enter? Do you download your checking account info into quickbooks and reconcile your checking that way? Do you use Quickbooks online and keep your data up to date that way? What about route books verses route sheets, what works the best for you? Has anyone tried the Quickbooks customer manager, I used it a few years back and did not like it, is the new version more useful? Just trying to save time and still keep my bookeeping up to date.:usflag:

2. zturncutter

Anyone with some ideas ?

3. whitebp1

whitebp1 LawnSite Member

I take my receipts home and enter them manually.
    I dont use quickbooks online. I have everything saved here and backed up here.
    I have found that making myself a route sheet in Excel is best for me.Its bascially a list of names in the order that i have mapped out. I have index cards for each customer on them it lists the svc to be performed each time the price and any specific details they want or i need to be aware of like obstacles, pick up toys etc etc. they are kept by day, in the truck i have photo copies of the cards at home in case something happens to them.
    Never tried customer manager.
    I usually try to sit down and do books and thigns like that 2x a week. once everything is set up its pretty easy going, quick and simple.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Quickbooks Pro. It links up with your bank account. When you use your card for fuel, it automatically reads this through a code, and automatically puts that purchase into fuel on your expenses. It's really rather incredible. It recognizes and knows when it is used at a gas station.

5. zturncutter

Thanks guys, I am really trying to streamline anything and everything this year.:usflag: