SAVIO Water Feature Institute Training, Anyone been?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to attend Savio's water feature institute Thursday and Friday. I am really pumped about it. Have any of you ever been? You might want to look it up in your area.

Their trainer has a waterfall company that is internationally sought after and does multi-million dollar water features. I consider him to be the best of the best in natural design. The last time I checked I was one of only 10 contractors that were signed up so It should be some good hands on training.

Here is a link about it in case any of you are interested in attending this one or finding on in your area:

http://www.howgoodcanyouget.com/

The river on the home page was built by Rick Bartel, the trainer for Savio. Pretty awesome.

2. Venturewest

Man! No replies. Well I will continue with my rave about this training. We had the first day which was mostly classroom today. It is an absolute privilege have such a renowned water feature designer teach us.

Tomorrow we are going to build a 30' long cascading mountain stream with about 20,000 to 30,000 gph volume. I will post a few pics.

I am going to take the NAPP certification test tomorrow too.

We are learning design principles that are revolutionary and insure a natural looking feature. 90% of the contractors are using the same design meathod and you can tell because even though some features look better than others, they all basically look the same. (mine included)

Anyone serious about water features as part of their career would be insane not to try to attend one of these seminars.

3. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like fun... how much was the class?

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Venturewest, good for you I love the enthusiasm, go get 'em

Waterfeatures and ponds are a hoot to build. Ponds are my favorite, I usually build 2 or 3 a year, they keep getting bigger and bigger

I know the crap jobs you are talking about, they come from a national company that I think is called aquasomething. Slap 'em in in a day, no footers, no bottom drains, submerged pumps in the skimmer
    all in all not great planning

5. Venturewest

Class was $129 for 2 days food included.

This designer is leading the pond build at Pondapolousa this year too. I am going to try to go to that.

6. Venturewest

Here is the completed pond free waterfall. This is the start of the 40' stream. As you can see we got to use some large boulders. The biggest was probably close to 2 tons. This build took about 6 hrs, and it is not your typical "build a pond day" type water feature. I will get better pics of the rest of it soon.

SavioBuildComplete.jpg

7. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a letter from one of my distributors that if i order X amount savio will pay for me to go to this.
    I will make a call Monday for more info.
    How was it?
    ever been to pondalusa? wasnt that a few months ago? i would like to go. maybe next year..
    that reminds me,, my membership is past due....doh!!!

8. Venturewest

You should take them up on the offer. I would gladly pay another $129 to attend another 2 day seminar. In fact I may fly somewhere to catch another one.

Pondapalousa: (I am sure that isn't spelled right) I have never been but I plan to go this next year. I guess it is going to be in St. Louis, MO. Rick Bartel, the guy that led the Savio seminar will be leading the big pond build at Pondapalousa also.

Are you involved in NAPP? I am thinking of joining pretty soon.

9. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

cant say that i am.
    Im in the Ippca
    pretty cool stuff,
    Tell me more about NApp

10. Venturewest

Here is the link to the National Association of Pond Professionals
    http://www.nationalpondpro.com

I just spent a bunch of time looking at the ippca website also. I had joined the forum the other day. Do you spend time on that forum?

It seems to me that both associations have similar membership numbers. I am surprised there aren't more members. I would think a thousand at least between them.

I think they are valuable. I guess the state of Louisiana was going to ban all water features. Every single kind. The law was ready to go on the books. The NAPP and maybe others also lobbied the congress and convinced them that water features do NOT contribute to mosquitos or West Nile. Can you believe that?? The law was so close to passing. The organizations prevented it.

That is absolute ignorance, but there will be other laws for safety etc., that will affect water features as they become more popular. I definitely will join one or both.