saw dust

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 45chester, Jun 18, 2001.

1. 45chester

45chester LawnSite Member

I just had several large trees cut down in my yard and my grass turned completely yellow 2 days after the trees were cut. I am assuming that the larget amount of saw dust has caused this. Any suggestions to nurse my grass back to health.

thanks.

2. Ron Persaud

Ron Persaud LawnSite Member
    from Florida

You do not say anything about time and I have no idea as to what the temperatures are like in your area but consider this. For that sawdust to be broken down (similar to composting), requires a type of bacteria that thrive on nitrogen. If that is happening, then they are using the nitrogen available at the expense of the grass. Later on your lawn will benefit from this process but for now, you can either bear with the off-color or apply a nitrogen supplement.

3. i do tree work. as part of the contract usually goes, is clean - up. clean up includes raking off the debris from the lawn and pavement, and then once that is done. where the cuts have been made to the wood on the ground we go back with a back pack blower and scatter blow the saw dust just so that the stuff is not in piles. never had a problem after doing this. only takes a minute or two to do right.