Saw Rochester, MN lawn co out flinging fert yesterday

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Apr 16, 2013.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do it that way. Sometimes people get upset with me because it seems like I have not treated their lawn in months. I do not control the weather. At that point they can get upset with someone else. They do not have to "splain" to the DOA agent why a product with a wind prohibition was being applied during a high wind warning. Or a product with a runoff and groundwater warning applied before a flash flood. Likewise, warm season weeds and grasses do not respond in a positive and predictable manner in cold, cloudy weather. I would feel like such a schmuck and shyster spraying someone's lawn when I knew it would not work.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

"When I know it would not work"...

If indeed,,, there were lco's that actually knew:

* "when it would NOT work...* "

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Nicely stated.

I wonder about those guys around me who put their Pre-m down before the 9" of rain so far this month, topped off with a low of 25* yesterday AM. So not even a hard frost, it was a hard freeze.

Grass just turned green last Thursday.

Gotta get it down.

Shoot, I was in Fort Wayne over to Lima over the weekend and I saw forsythias blooming down there. That means we're quite some time away from the traditional need to apply.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

It has not even greened up here yet, and the turf is horribly soggy. I am at least a week out from applying and that is if we get that nice warm up mid this week. More likely, 2 weeks out. I will be doing very little spraying 1st round, as there isn't an actively growing broadleaf out there at this point. Rollover dandelions are still beet red.

Woe to those around here who threw pre 2 weeks ago. That is washed away for certain.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

66 degrees for the first time this season in Grand Rapids. I expect the first mowing to be in a couple days. Violets, and veronica bloom.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Here the snow is gone, for the most part and there is a lot of green grass now exposed... I'm afraid that a couple of nites of hard freezes,,, may have us with BROWN everywhere again...

7. BTC

BTC LawnSite Member

The grass is greening up in Lansing, Michigan. Considering the weather we've had, I'm surprised. I'm not ready to mow. I haven't sharpened my blade, don't really have anything to do it myself, and don't really want to pay someone. I have a lot of pine bark mulch that has blown out of my beds and into my yard. As Ron Burgundy might say, that mulch may have been a bad choice.