Saw some things...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by WGLandscapeMaintenance, Jun 11, 2009.

1. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

So yesterday on my way home from work, I saw push mower in the trunk of a ford taurus, I took of a picture of it with my phone but I can't get it to send to my album on tmobile.com, and then today coming home from work, I saw a guy with an older model expedition and written on the side was something along the lines of "screen door & door repair" and the guy's phone number on the 3rd window of each side, it was all written in window marker :cry:

I looked and just laughed at both of these lol.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

You can expect to see alot more of this as the economy gets worse !!

3. WGLandscapeMaintenance

Oh I know, Just coming home today and being out an about I saw about 10 LCO's, they were legit not crackerjack undercutters, truck lettered up & either utility trailer or enclosed lettered up w/ ztr's, weed whips, and blowers. Just reinforces my thought on the immense competition. Next year when I start I'll have about 5 LCO's that are based within about 5 miles of me, I'm sure there is more but the rest I don't consider competition :p or I haven't seen them.

4. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

I thought that kind of stuff only happens here in the south!

You still see people riding in the back of pick up trucks down here. Mom, pop and the youngins.

LOL

PLS

5. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

There's a rental house a few doors down from me and the rental company never has the same person mow more than twice. The latest "victim" drives up yesterday in an old nissan altima with a murray push mower hanging out of the trunk and a bungee cord holding the trunk shut. I was changing blades, greasing mowers, etc. It was about 7 pm but it was hot and humid like you wouldn't believe. The guy starts mowing and goes for about 5 minutes and then gets in the car and turns the air on. Gets out starts mowing again, back in the car. This goes on for over an hour. Now keep in mind that the lot is only about 50 ft by 75 ft and the house is about 1500 sq ft, so there's not that much grass. He was there until after dark, then I see the car leave. When I was going out to work this morning I noticed that he didn't even finish!!! Then when I got back home this afternoon, he was back. But then a bad storm came in and he had to leave. I could knock this yard out in about 30 min including trimming. I have never seen anybody take so long to mow a small lot. I always see these guys with mowers in the back of cars, but now I'm really not worried about the competition since he's probably only making $5/hr and he may have a heat stroke on top of that.

6. WGLandscapeMaintenance

Yeah, I just don't get these undercutting jokers!!! :hammerhead: They are so stupid!!! :hammerhead: Why do work if you are not making money?!?

7. WGLandscapeMaintenance

Oh no up here in the tundra we get that, and the other day I saw a guy riding in the back of a honda ridgeline with a couch in the back, the bed was too short and he had to hold it in haha

8. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hey now, I have a Honda Ridgeline! :nono:

9. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the same problem here in the northeast. Everybody is running around being a landscaper!
    Wish it were easier, but hey if it was even more people would be doing it.
    We will keep grinding it, and yes we have about ten legit lcos within a few miles of our shop
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Well that's their business and there is only so much time in a day, before I know it the year is up and the more time I spent worrying about what everyone else is doing is that much less time I had to focus on my own, lesson I learned early on is that to succeed I would likely be best off investing my time worrying about my own.