Saw Something That I Wish I Didn't

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Apr 26, 2007.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was mowing the back of a clients' yard when I look over into another neighbors yard, and see what looked to be the remains of a dog that was trapped under the fence.

I was appalled. I decided to tell the neighbors, thinking they would care. I just prayed that they didn't know about it and just left it there.

So I finish doing the lawncare, then go knock on the neighbors door. After awhile, a guy comes to the door, and I explain to him who I am, and what I saw. The conversation went like this:

Me: Sir, I take care of one of your neighbors lawn. While I was mowing her back yard I saw the body of a dog trapped under your fence, next to your shed.

Him: What?

Me: I explain again what I just said.

Him: I don't own a dog.

Me: I didn't say you had a dog. I said you have the dead body of a dog in your backyard, trapped under the fence. It looked like it has been there for a week or two.

Him: Well, what do you want to do about it?

Me: Nothing. I am not trying to sell you anything. I am just trying to tell you about it.

Him: (He looks at me blankly.)

Him: Well......

Me: Have a great day sir! (I turn around and leave.)

What an idiot!!!! I can't stand people like that. i am thinking of calling the Humane Society and reporting his butt.

2. jdlawn

jdlawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

i hate people like that, you are just trying to be nice and they act like your stupid. Do call the humane society, i would.

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

People ASSume too much. Maybe he didn't know it was there. It's not everyday someone knocks on your door to tell u that there is a carcass lying and/or decomposing under your fence. I probably would have said the same thing as he did.

4. AlleganyLawnCare

I didn't ASSume anything, unlike your ASSumption. I merely stated that I hoped he did not know it was there. And I still feel he didn't know that it was there, until I told him about it. But when a person acts like a complete idiot to a person trying to do the right thing by letting them know about it, then he is the complete definition of an Ahole. He wanted me to go do something about it. Would you have? Or is that still Assuming too much?

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

In your post u said he asked "What do u want to do about it". I too would assume u were there to do something about it. Maybe u think too little of your profession and immediately got your guard up (kinda like u are now). Again, its not everyday someone tells u that there is a dead dog (of all things) decaying in your backyard.

If u take a second and put yourself in his shoes, u might think his response was appropriate under the circumstances..........or maybe not.

6. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

He probably knew it was there and he probably knew it was dead because he hadn't fed it in a week. I wish the people who treat animals poorly could be owned by animals for one week and mistreated. It wouldn't do any good however, because they're idiots!

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

If you weren't assuming anything, why did you say "I should call the Humane Society on his Butt"?

It sounds though like he didn't know about it, nor did he really care. Personally, if someone informed me of this, I'd thank them, and clean up the dead dog myself. But, some people just are weird like that, couldn't care less, don't want to be bothered, etc.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you say that? You weren't there, and the OP clearly stated the guy said he didn't have a dog.

9. AlleganyLawnCare

One never ever question my professionalism. I don't yours, so don't even try it with me. My guard is up, because of your ASSenine Assumptions of me, when you don't even know me.

Second, if a person came to me, and to let me know that there was a dead dog trapped under my fence in my backyard, one, I would be shocked and upset, and two I would thank the person for letting me know. I don't automatically ASSume (like you do) that a person that shows up at my door to tell me this weird news is trying to push something on me.

10. AlleganyLawnCare

I didn't assume anything. I prayed that he didn't know. But from his reaction (I use to be a police officer (5 years) and nurse (11 years), so I am pretty good at reading peoples reactions), that something didn't seem right. He didn't seem to care about the poor animal at all. He was more worried about not claiming the animal than anything.