sawdust in the palm????????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HOMER, Apr 21, 2005.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Had a lady ask me the other day if I knew why here Sago (sp) palm had, what appeared to look like sawdust, in the middle of her plant where the buds form. I told her it was apparently some sort of pest but could not be specific nor could I tell her how to treat it.................anybody out there know of this and what treatment to use? I'm lost as a fart in a whirlwind :)
  2. HOMER

So, I guess I'm not alone in this!!!

Or...........I am alone in this!
  3. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

I do not know much about Sagos but I do know that borers will leave sawdust when entering plants/trees. You might want to go here: They have a section for palms and another one called The Garden Clinic. Someone over there will definately know.
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

5. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

With out seeing a picture it sounds to me like Asian cycad scale very difficult to kill. It has devestated the sago's of south Florida and moving north. To see if this is what you have check out the pictures here
    One of the most promising chemicals is Imidacloprid, which is sold as Merit insecticide to the professional market. It is a systemic that is injected into the soil around the base of the tree, and for several months will supply the insecticide into the foliage. Apparently it does have some effect in reducing the scale population, although it is still not the magic wand. Scales are tough to control, as the visible insect you see is primarily a big shell of wax, repelling sprays over the top of it. The systemic insecticides get into the foliage itself, and hopefully will be ingested as the scale feeds on the plant's juices.
  6. HOMER

Thanks for the reply's, I'll pass this info on to the owner of the plant.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

First off the Sago is a Cycad not a palm and that is a big difference.

You did not say if the "sawdust" was on the frons or not. I assume that they are not as you mention the "bud" area. This could be a borer of some type. Did you actually touch the "sawdust" and verify?

The Cycad Scale has a white appearance and is all over the frons. If this is the case and it is scale do the following. Cut off every single fron. Then every seven days spray and I mean (soak it) with horticulture oil. Do this for four weeks and spray all the trunk and ground around the Sago. If you do this new growth will be dark green and you should be good for about six months. If customer does not want all frons removed then leave only two to three rows and spray to soaking.

We have them really bad here to the point we are just removing them. Merit has not worked here and it is very costly for all but the largest Sagos. Just soak it with the oil and you are good for at least a while.

Oh one more thing. I have not seen the scales on queen sagos yet. You did not say if yours was a king or a queen.
  8. HOMER

She said it was just in the bud area.

King/'s a guy to know?????? :help:
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Watch your Queens I have seen Sego scale on them. The tree huggers have gotten our good stuff. But Merit and oil will work. I will also agree with you about it being a bore. Once again the tree hugger have gotten are good stuff.
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member