Saying NO

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gene $immons, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Occasionally I will get a call for a landscape install that I dont want to touch. Either I'm too busy, shorthanded or the job is out of my league. Sometimes I will refer the client to another company. I usually feel upset when I have to say no to jobs that are too much work for us. How do you guys in similar situations handle this?
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have a large landscaping company near me that I have a good relationship with. I refer jobs I don't want or are too big for me to them. I have "learned" to say no. When you talk to people who have had bad experiences with landscapers, many, many times it is because the company couldn't handle the job.

Customers have been very happy with my referrals, and it is always good to have happy customers!
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed...Find a few Landscapers that you know do good work and refer the customer to them.Just say your not able to fit them into your schedual at this time.Then take a few smaller jobs to gain expirience so that money goes into your pocket and hire xtra help temporarily to get it done.It's hard to turn down $$ but the best thing to do if you can't handle the work.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I just sub it out to a friend when its too big. Still make 10% and I didn't do anything.
  5. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

If you are overbooked thats one thing, but if the job is just to big, sub out the parts you cant handle or dont have time to handle.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I'm turning down a landscape install due to a bad vibe I got off the lady of the house. Its a shame, could have been a real money maker, however I feel like it will come around to bite me in the rear.
  7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

Iam on the other end of this situation sometimes. I have a friend that doesn't own any equipment for grading and hauling, I prefer to do this type of work, so he hires or just gives me the leads on his "out of reach" work. I in turn refer all the tedious small jobs to him when I have more deseriabe work to do , this has worked for several years now