Says to only run DexCool colling in 27hp kawi..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrusk, Oct 9, 2003.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I got a laser with a 27hp liquid cooled kawi engine. I got around 12 hrs on it now and the coolant resvior only has around 1.5in of coolant in it. So i read my manual and it says to run dexcool coolant. So i go down to my dealer and they never heard of dexcool and told me to just a any antifreeze. Does this sound right? So i can add some other brand coolant into the resvior and it will be ok?

thanks
    matt

2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Dex-Cool is a silicate free, longer-life coolant. GM uses Dex-Cool in all of their vehicles. It is Reddish/Orange in color. I've heard a few not so good things about Dex-Cool. They say if air enters the cooling system from a leaky radiator cap it can contaminate the coolant somehow and mess up the engine. Supposedly when this happens, the coolant turns to a rusty brown color. My 2002 Silverado has Dex-Cool in it, and I've had no problems with it or any of my previous 2 chevy trucks which had Dex-Cool. I have read in different forums here on the net where guys have drained the cooling systems on their trucks after the warranty runs out, and replaced with regular green antifreeze. I know Ford still uses the green stuff in their vehicles. When my warranty runs out, I may change over to regular coolant if I find out for sure it won't harm anything.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dexcool is what comes from the factory. And Dexcool is what HAS to be used to top off. Green ethylene glycol is NOT compatable with Dexcool.

Where is your leak? The coolant resivior? Mine splashes out a bit.

You can buy Dexcool at Walmart.

Shame on your dealer for not knowing the proper answer.

What ever you do, DO NOT MIX coolant types!

4. skinnyd

skinnyd LawnSite Member
    from mass

I guess it depends on what type of coolant is actually in the unit.
    What color is the coolant in the mower?
    Does the dealer add coolant when they prep the mower?
    If so try to find out what they use.
    Everything I have heard is you shouldnt mix dexcool with other coolants.
    Do a search on dexcool you will get all sorts of hits. Some people claim they have had lots of problems with it.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Wait a minute....

I re-read your post, and you said its down to 1.5" in the coolant resivior.

Thats all it's supposed to have in it. If you feel the side of the tank (the side facing OUT) you'll feel a molded in line about 1.5"-2" from the bottom. THIS is your fill line.

So, I'd leave it be for a while. If you fill it any fuller, it'll splash out the top more easily.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Guys thanks for the response. I took at look at the mower just now and the coolant is half way to the indent. Next time i go past the walmart i'll pick up some dexcool. I am very disapointed that my dealer told me to add whatever.

matt

7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm glad you posted this because I had a new radiator installed in my 27HP Kawi last year. My dealer said that Kawi no longer recommends the Dex cool for their engines. The dealer refilled my system with regular anti-freeze. But I do know you can't mix the two.