1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

One of my cutomers askes me every year if i want to dedicate a crew to his needs of repairing the turf after SBC runs the lines under ground. It would be a yearly contract they would supply the material (dirt seed straw). I would need to use my dump truck, skid trailer, skid steer and misc hand tools. He always comes back with I think a low amount $37.50 per man (2men) x 40 hrs a week times 52 weeks = $156,000. What would you say or do?

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would consider if I had a good operator and a good worker to dedicate to that contract. If you had spend very much time at the job sites might have to pass. Don't know your costs but if you could put the 56k in your pocket annually and maintain your business as is..you might do ok. Just make sure you will have to absorb no hidden costs. Spell it out in a Contract....
  3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what you need to charge per hour to cover your labor, overhead, etc. but $37.50 is a little low for me. Now add in the skid steer and that number is even less appealing.
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO it sounds like he wants to use you for a labor service, only you get to provide the equipment as well. If he were to hire a couple of full time workers himself, they would probably cost him close to $30/hr. each, depending on the going wage for your area. Then he would have to provide truck, skidsteer and tools, plus fuel, maintenance and insurance. If you take the contract, then everything is your responsibility. I wouldn't consider it for less than $50 per man/hr.
  5. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Thats what i told him hosejockey2002 that we get 75 dollars an hour for a skid steer and operator. But he just comes back every year to ask. I think that he thinks it a good deal becasue it is one customer instead of going out to find more jobs for landscaping.