scag 17hp kawi problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ashs inc, May 22, 2007.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

ok guys picked this little gem up at a homeowners. Son starter a lawn care service and i was just sitting in his shop. I paid a smooth $100.00 for it. put gas in it pulled and it fired right up. It was running like crap. i changed plugs one was wet one was black and dry. Then i noticed gas dripping out of the carb. i cleaned it but it is still dripping out. i also noticed oil blowing by one of the plugs??? did i just waste a 100 bucks or can this mower be saved!!!!

100_1959.jpg

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The carb. needs a new float needle valve installed, It most likely flooded the cylinder is why one plug was wet.

Clean carb. again with carb. & choke spray cleaner and replace the needle valve, Flush tank and fuel lines then install a new fuel filter and plugs. Change the oil (could have fuel contamination from flooding) then see how it runs.

3. ashs inc

from alabama

thanks man but what part of the carb can i find the float needle valve

4. Restrorob

You have to remove the float to replace it, You may as well go ahead and replace the bowl seal while your there.

[​IMG]

5. ashs inc

from alabama

man your awesome. i take it i can order a new one from j-thomas?

6. Restrorob

7. ashs inc

from alabama

man your awesome. I got a bunch of other stuff i need work on!!!!!! i might be asking for some more advise soon! thanks again!

8. ashs inc

from alabama

ok took the carb off how do you take that shaft off that holds the float on to get to the float valve?

9. ashs inc

from alabama

ok heres the pic. I dont see how to get that pin out???

carb 001.jpg

10. Restrorob

Use a small nail or something and LIGHTLY tap the end of the pin closest to your hand rail post, Once it's out a little it will slide easily the rest of the way.
    Then re-install and LIGHTLY tap back in, If hit too hard one of the float hanger fingers could be broken off.