Scag 2006 decks, a joke?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scotmockup, Mar 31, 2006.

1. scotmockup

scotmockup LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Anyone having trouble with Scag's new 2006 zero turn high velocity decks?
    Scag has increased the wind velocity under the deck but they also raised the deck and apparently lowered the blades. The front baffle is 5/8" higher than the deck sides and back. The problem is, If you block off the discharge to mulch like I do, all that air has to escape somewhere
    and it escapes out the front. I mulch most of my lawns and If I get close to any leaves they blow away from the mower. I even had a custom baffle installed that comes down even with the sides and back but at a 3" cutting height the whole deck rides quite a bit off the ground. Older scag decks ride much closer to the ground. Scag's new hurricane mulch kit is a 1 to 2 hour install. What a joke. Am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks,

Scott

2. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

1-2hrs? That's seems pretty long. I will say it takes me 30 - 45 mins. I'm assuming that since you installed a custom baffle that you already tried lowering scags turbo baffle to the lowest notch? Not being a smart A, just curious. If you are having that much blowout it sounds to me like you need to drop your deck height 1/4 inch or so. That usually solves any blowout problems for me.