1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag 3 wheeler mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jul 14, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I found a Scag, no more than 10 years old, it's a 3 wheel outfront mower, like an Exmark Turf Ranger, but I don't know the name for the Scag one. Anyhow, it has alot of fire damage. The motor and all plastic and rubber is melted down. The deck and frame is ok still. I would have to put on another motor and many other components, possibly even hydro drives. I'd be doing all the work myself. It looks like a 5' deck. I want to know if these cut good (of course) how manueverable are they? I would definately use it, but I'm not sure how much money I would need to sink into it to replace all the damaged stuff. If it was just the engine and a few other small things, I would probably do it, but if the hydros are fried it could be a different story, that could get expensive. It is at a mower junkyard and I could probably swap some junk i have for it and also maybe some cash. This could be my chance to get a good big mower at a good price, by doing the work myself.

What do you guys think?
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Assuming your time is worthless, you're probably going to be upside down, even with a good transmission (they do not have hydros like a ZTR)

If your time is worth anything, forget about it.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

This would be to work on in my spare time, and over the winter. I don't have all my days full mowing. I think it does have a hydro, not twin ones, but a single one like a garden tractor, then the rear wheel keeps it straight and steers it. Assume I am replacing the motor and some other stuff, is it worth it? Then what if the transmission got fried, is it still worth it? Labor doesn't count, I don't care how much time it takes, I wouldn't plan on having it to use until next year. So basically is it worth it to put the parts money into it? I'd get a used motor not a new one for now. Thanks,
  4. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

ok well figure an engine alone is about 1200 bucks and hoses tires,cables,battery,control panel,seat, and paint run you another 1200 bucks you still have to figure your labor in. You could find something pretty good used for 3k or so...take my advice.....look for a good used well maintained machine!

just my 2 cents
  5. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

The Scag three wheel riders are called STHM's. I have one that is 8 years old and we use it every day. Mine has a 61 inch deck and is surprisingly manuverable. the drive system is hydrolic although it does not zero turn it does do a perfect 180 degree turn at the end of the pass. I like mine so much that I have replaced the engine and the deck at 2000 hours and it cuts and runs like new (it should). This mower is great in hills as well as mowing around and under obstacles. You'll be impressed by the way it can get in and out of tight areas for as big as it is.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.
  6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 1999 Scag Sthm 61, or three wheel actually 5 wheels.

a good one can be bought here for 3-4 K. I put 850 hrs on mine

since 99. Mine has a 22 Koh. new they are 1500. Before buying one in pieces find a used one with low hours. They're not as fast

as a Z but with the front deck its easier under trees. Also the deck raises to change weight dist. to back out of places a Z

Sometimes I like the rear swing you are out side a tree instead of in it.
  7. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

Turfguy has a good point.
    The engine on mine cost me $2300.00 (included installation) for a 23 HP Koehler and the deck was $1100.00 (also included installation) this was just the shell. A complete deck with spindels was about $1700.00. I think the Hydro pump is about $400.00 the ignition and wire cables over $200.00 and so on. Even if you bought all these parts used you could still buy a good complete mower for the same or less than what you would spend on this.
  8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

$2300 for a kohler 23, that seems a little high, but that is my opinon.:(
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No, I mean a used motor.
    For instance, there's a brand new in the box 25hp Kohler vertical shaft that would work perfect for this mower- only $525. Why? Because a guy got it free out of some warranty work on a mower he bought. It is not one of those factory screw up motors that doesn't have a place for the oil filter either, it's a good regular one. But I would probably either get that engine or a used one. I don't think there's a whole lot of damage to this thing other than the motor and other small stuff. I think I could fix it for under a grand if the hydro is ok. This would just be a project mower. I kinda wanted a ztr, but this would be fine too if it could be affordable for me to fix up, and I could fix it over time instead of paying one big chunk like getting a Ztr. I haven't made a deal with him yet, can't get ahold of him, but I could probably get it for under $200, get a good used motor for a couple hundred, i think the tires were intact still believe it or not. Maybe just hoses and wiring and motor, new blades and belts and it might go. i'm not sure yet i didn't look at it too good. If he makes a real good deal i might take it not sure yet. Just something i'm thinking about.
  10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

if you paid $2500 for a 25 command you got ripped off you can get one new in the box for about $1500