1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag 36 Advantage Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Northwest, May 23, 2005.

1. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Bought a 2003 Scag Advantage Hydro last year, had been used one year. I know why the guy sold it. The cut has been subpar no matter what I do.This piece of cr@p will only mow good with brand new blades. sharpen them once or twice, or go to fast and is leaves stringers or a mowhawk in the middle. My old 36 Honda could have the blades sharpened 10 times rounded off and the cut was better than this scag with new blades. I also had to put 30 psi in one tire and 12 psi in the other (factory wheels never been replaced) to have them the same diameter measured by a string (mower was cutting lower on one side, this corrected that). I also have a Scag 48 that I have not had any problems with. Is anyone else having any problems with the 36 Scag Advantage Hydro?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont own a 36 inch scag, I have seen alot of threads about blades leaving streaks and what most find is that the new blades are not sharpen as close to the center hole as a stock blade is. Usually you can grind them in another inch or so and that takes care of the problem

3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have a problem with mohawks whenever I try to run gators on my Exmark 36. When I run Hi-Lifts, its not a problem. What kind of blade are you running?

Kevin

4. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

I have run high lift and regular lift blades, scag factory blades and Oregon replacement blades does not seem to matter.

Anyone know of someone that manufactures 18 1/4 blades I do not know why scag does not since they made a mower that needs them. Scag manufactures 16 1/4 inch blades for my 48 and it cuts fine.