SCAG 36 braking problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, May 3, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

my right brake on my 36' walk behind is acting really weird...the other day i was mowing and went to make a right turna dn it was really slow not sharp like i like it so i made some adjustments and kinda pulled on the handle to make sure it felt right and went back on my path and it had already looseened up and wasn't making a sharp turn...well today i got mad and like adjusted the L screw that is on the brake all the way up and it was really hard to pull the first time and really far away grab, and it went RIGHT to being loose and won't make a sharp turn and all...what's wrong with this thing?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your brake band is broken. They tend to stretch for a while and then snap. 5 min job , $12 dollar part.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your brake band is broken. They tend to stretch for a while and then snap. 5 min job , $12 dollar part.

4. Orkin Yards

can someone give me some more details on this repair and what all is required?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Simple, hand tools, new band, common sense. Remove belt, Spread E clip off axle, slide wheel assembly off axle, install new band, reverse.

6. Orkin Yards

can someone give me some more details on this repair and what all is required?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Jeffrey,

Take no offense on this, but if you need to know more about this repair, maybe you shouldn't be performing it. Take it to your dealer and ask him if you can "watch" as its fixed. This way you'll know for the next time it breaks. He can probably do it while its still on your trailer. Watch and learn. OR, just dig in and figure it out! Its not rocket science, its a lawnmower!

Good luck!

8. Orkin Yards

also take no offense, if you didn'realize it is repeating post i can handle it just fine, it just posted my post again for somereason...i wouldn't ask the same question right after you answered it...