1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag 36" clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keren1253, Aug 4, 2008.

1. keren1253

keren1253 LawnSite Member

I have a 36" scag SW36A ADV, 15 kh walk behind. I have to replace the clutch on this. Repair shop is behind 3 wks and i cannot wait for that, i would lose all of my customers. I bought the part from lawnmower shop, but have no idea how to replace it. Please if anyone can help me with this, i would be so grateful.
  2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Here is a link to the scag web site for parts manuals. Atlases you will have an idea of how the parts go together. This is a belt drive, so I'm not sure what you mean by a clutch, more info would be helpful.
    ericg likes this.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You got to detach the wiring plug first. Then you take off the stop that keeps the clutch from spinning. Then take the bolt out that holds the clutch to the motor shaft. If you have air wrench it is easy if not you will probably have to hold the motor shaft from spinning. Sometimes they drop down but usually you will need to get a pulley of some type to pull it off. You can leave the holding bolt in partially and tap it with a hammer and that sometimes breaks it loose.