1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag 36" walk behind gear drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Squirter, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

thinking of buying a used (like new) 1998-1999 scag "gear drive" 36" walk behind. it has a kawasaki engine (13 hp?). don't know anything about these mowers...or walk behinds, for that matter. it has very low hours and has been strictly used by a homeowner for his 2 acres. it's suppose to be "like new".

what's it worth....how much should i pay??? what's with the gear drives...vs. new belt drive? would this be a good mower for me to use if i am mowing about 20-30 residential sized lawns (1 acre or less)??? i'm only doing this work (and maybe lawn edging) to earn some money to help pay my college tuition.
  2. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

i sure could use some feedback on this post. i'm getting ready to buy one and i don't want to make a big mistake. if it is like new, is it worth 1,000 ???
  3. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

bump for the guy. Personally don't know a thing about scag.
  4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

It probably has quite a few hours on it if he mowed his 2 acre property with it ever since it was new. I'd say if it's in good shape, it would be worth $600-900.
  5. Integritylawncare

Integritylawncare LawnSite Member

I started my business 3 seasons ago and had a 48" Toro Proline gear drive. Most of the lawns I work are too small for a 48". Using a gear drive was a frustrating experience wrestling that sucker around, trying to back up etc. Last fall I bought a Exmark 36" Turf Tracer HP which is a hydro. This season the mowing experience is much more pleasant and time consuming which translates into money. Go with a hydro if you can. My 2 cents
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Run far far far away from it! We had the same mower and it cut like crap. Just got rid of it a couple weeks ago for $500 and it only had maybe 400 hours on it at most. We hated it so much we only used it when we absolutely had to.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Gee, somebody was lamenting a 36 Scag in another thread!
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know where zone 5 is...but we use a 36' floating deck scag for about 8 years and it gives a fine cut on southern grasses. And if you can get it for $500 that would make you a good mower. And the handling isn't that bad people used them for many years before hydro came out and most still use them instead of hydro because they are cheaper.
  9. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

zone 5 is indiana (indianapolis). the mower reportedly has VERY low hours...despite being almost 9 years old. it was used sparingly by a homeowner mowing his own lawn, about 1 acre of grass. he decided to get a zero turn because he was tired of the walk behind. the guy says it's like new and always garaged...paint is like new...engine (kawasaki). he wants 1,000 for it. seems like a good deal to me for a college kid wanting to earn some extra bucks this summer. NO??????????????
  10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I gave $950 for mine and it came with a Jungle Jim sulky, I'd be thinking more along the lines of $750-800 or so. It was low hours (had been used to mow a church lawn) and in good shape. 12.5 hp Kaw, it was pretty much the same mower as yours.