1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag 36" WB repower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siggeorge, Oct 17, 2008.

1. siggeorge

siggeorge LawnSite Member

I am a residential user with a 20 year old 36" Scag walk-behind, belt-drive, clutch mower. Its first 5 years were spent in commercial duty and now 15 years on my 1.5 acre yard. I love the machine and thought it would be a lifetime mower but it seems that I have lived too long. The Kawasaki FB460V engine is on its last legs and I wish to re-power. Since the FB460 is discontinued I have looked at the Kohler CV15T-41582 engine and the latest Kawasaki engine. While I like Kawasaki the Kohler is much more reasonably priced considering this is a residential machine.

Question - Are there any suggestions for these or other engines that I may consider? I want to stick with recoil start machines.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 cv15 Kohlers. They are pretty much bullet proof. Tony
  3. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

Tharrell is right. Kohlers are great engines. Take care of them and you will be passing this mower on in your will. LOL
  4. Tnlawnguy

Tnlawnguy LawnSite Member

I just put a CV15-41582 on my old scag and it's been perfect since then. I'm gonna add electric start to mine soon. Great engines, they'll last a long time with proper care! Go with the Kohler!
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have been putting the Kohlers on our Scag when engines failo over the years but the last two are duds. Both of them had carb that had to be replaced because they leaked gas in the cyclinder after a year....warranty 90 days on carb. And one was a darn hard starter after the first year, finally at the end of second year Kohler agreed to clean valves and put in new rings and that helped. Bottom line I would stay with Kaw....they start easier when you got rope pull. yes I know that cost a lot more but I have had it with Kohler.
  6. djchiodo3

djchiodo3 LawnSite Senior Member

There are thousands of Kaw. and there are thousands of Kohler engines out running right now. Both will always have issues here and there. You can buy a lemon mower too, doesn't mean they are all bad.
  7. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

cv-15 is a great motor i used one on a scag 36 for 7 years commercially i have no idea of hours sold to a friend and still runs perfecy for him. of course reg preventive maint. helps.
  8. siggeorge

siggeorge LawnSite Member

Many thanks for the input from everyone. Having read through numerous threads on this site it is easy to see that there are a lot of generous giving people here. Kudos.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just another way of looking at things....

Are you prepared to do this work yourself?

The reason I ask, is that your going to dump at least $600 into a 20 year old mower. Add a couple hundred to that if your going to pay someone to do the swap. Thats close to what you could buy a much newer walkbehind that would cut better. The older SCAGS aren't known for their cut quality.

I would rather see you jump up to a newer model with a wider deck for your size property.

Check out the local mower shops, ebay/craigs, and even on here for listings of used mowers for sale. There are guys getting out of biz this time of year and they need cash for the winter. Many sell off equipment in the fall. Just as you bought this unit used some time ago, you can do the same again. You will also be able to get some money for yours as well.

Just hate to see you sink anymore money into such an old mower.
  10. Tnlawnguy

Tnlawnguy LawnSite Member

My old scag WB gives a great quality cut, I'm very pleased with it's results!

Doing the swap is ridiculously easy. Let me know if you need any help if you do end up going with the kohler!