scag 36 z-cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outlaw1960, Feb 20, 2006.

1. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Hey all, has anyone demoed one of these? With all the tiny gates it appears to be well suited for my area. Just wanting feedback from anyone who has used or demoed one, not opinions on why one should not purchase one, I am just d#*!m tired of walking after 20 years in this business....thanks for your time and consideration.................

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We purchased a 42 z last season best money spent saves a lot of time on long hot days.

3. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ditch the fences, there not only putting a dent on ur productivity but there also makin u buy cheap equipment. Dont get me wrong, the Zcats propabley nice, but thats becasue it has the SCAG logo, the best one out there. But what i did was sold my 36 and got a Tiger Cub, never regret tellin the gated prop's to find somebody else, cause the 48" is sooo much more productive, and i dont hafta get off to swing open the gate. IMO, ditch the gates, and get a tiger cub. also, imo, any larger deck on a prop gets to many complaints

4. outlaw1960

from denver

In the area we live in 90% of the properties have a 36 inch gate, so your post, which might relavent to your area has no bearing in mine, I just want to know if you have acually demoed one, and how did it handle hills? Cutting 4 backyards riding and walking 80? Just trying to save the old body.....

5. Wayne Landscaping

Well if ur asking if the Z cat can handle, i say yes. I had a walker and soon realized the advantages, i cant list them all, id be here for days, get it, ditch the walkers, my scag handles great on hills

6. outlaw1960

from denver

Thanks Wayne, that's the kind of info I want, I already own 4 Scag machines, 32" to 72", just have no info on the 36 z-cat. My dealer will have one in later this week and I don"t know what to expect with the narrower track. Around here we have some hilly terrain and if the machine won't hold a hill they are pretty much worthless to me, thanks for your reply....steve

7. Wayne Landscaping

If ur really worried about hills u shouldnt have a problem because scag's really good with the cc's of the hydro pumps, but make shure to get max hp as possible and treat it well and it will treat u well. i got only the 19hp on mine just becaus ei have no hills, but i put V-Power in it every time and it feels like it has more muscle that 19!!! Good Luck

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Outlaw
    Go to www.cutinedge.com Not only have I demoed the Z-Cat but I actually own one to boot. 36" 19HP Yes it does hold the hills just have to learn your limits. A very powerful tool in the aresonal. The only thing that I dont like is with the Z-Cat it's a 3 bladed deck (yes, does make better cut than 2 with higher rpm's. But as of now there are no aftermarket blades on the scag super high lifts. 3blades = $75 NOTE: Z-Cat blades are not interchangable with the 36"WB.

9. outlaw1960

from denver

wow, those blades are pricey, how long have you owned your z-cat? any issues with it? by the way, nice pics on your site! outlaw

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Outlaw.,
    If you have true, 36" wide gates, the little Scag will not go through them. Any mower with a 36" cut will not go through a 36" gate. A 36" cut mower will have to be about 37.5" wide, or wider.
    You will need to go with a 34" ZTR to get in those gates. Around here, most 36" gates are really about 34 or 35" wide. Better do some serious measureing before you buy.