SCAG 48" Charging Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jchil1qw, Mar 30, 2005.

1. jchil1qw

jchil1qw LawnSite Member

I have a Scag ST-13k with an Kawasaki FC420V motor. I am tried of jumping the mower every time I need to mow. I have often wondered what I need to do to fix this problem. I have tried replacing the fuses on the control panel and the battery but none work. The charging system does not keep the battery charged. Any ideas?

2. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

There is visa card! payup
    The free advice? Priceless! :eek:

LOL! Sorry I couldn’t help myself! LOL! :eek:

But seriously… :angel:

Assuming your battery is good, I think if you replace the alternator \ regulator units you’re problem will go away. :gunsfirin

Alternators have diodes that act as ONE-WAY valves for current, and if they are bad, they will allow the current from the battery to drain.

Hope that helps! :angel:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

With a charger on the battery you can't get the unit to start? Most chargers have enough power to start the unit? Once the unit starts what do you see on your amp meter, is it essentially at zero? When you shut the unit down what is happening on the amp meter? Put a voltmeter on across the battery terminals when the unit is running and report what the voltage is.

4. jchil1qw

jchil1qw LawnSite Member

I will try the volt meter on the battery. It will start with a charger on it. Its kind of weird. You almost have to turn the engine with your hand on the trash screen while you turn the key. Then the strater will catch and start. I have no idea what exactly is going on. I will get back to you about the problem. EC-Rider are you saying to fork out the money and get another mower?

5. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

"

...No pun intended LOL! :blush:

BUY a another mower for a simple charging problem?? I should hope NOT!
    LOL! :nono:

Scag mowers are one of the toughest and best mowers around. :cool2:

But I can see where you may have been confused on the first two sentences

“For charging systems…

There is visa card! “ LOL! payup

But I also wrote “But seriously…” and explained you problem. :eek:

Ok, let’s try it this way…you will need your “visa to buy or replace your alternator\regulator charging system”. payup

Cash or check will work also! LOL!

Hope that helps!

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Let me try this another way. Pull the positive lead off the battery and charge it up overnight. Then put the positive lead back on and see if the unit will start. Assuming it will not start then I would pull the starter out and have it checked. Make sure all the connections are tight down to the starter.

7. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

You said that you have replaced the battery before. With that said, did it crank up after you changed the battery only to lose its charge over a short period of time? You also said that when you jump it, it runs fine. That would indicate that your alternator is good. A battery is only used for initial crank up. No matter if you are talking mowers, cars or even aircraft. Being that you can jump it, the starter seems fine as well. Having to put your hand on the trash screen is kind of wierd. I don't think it has anything to do with your starter. However in a charging circuit if the case ground is intermittent then you would have charging problems. Check your case ground and make sure to clean the surface it mates to and the ground terminal as well. This ground is gonna go dirrectly to your frame somewhere. This may explain why it seems to start better if you have your hand applying pressure to the trash screen...making a better connection to ground. If that doesn't fix it then look for a short to ground which would cause the same problem that you are having. Good Luck. Hope this helped.

8. landaq007

landaq007 LawnSite Member

Greetings,
    I have a Scag 2004 tiger cub with a similar problem. I believe it is the alternator. A new battery will be dead after mowing for an hour or two. Anywhere I can see how to change this? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

9. buckyptp

buckyptp LawnSite Member

I need a little help understanding where the "case ground" is and how to find it on my scag tiger cub 19hp kawasaki? I have replaced the voltage regulator(easy and 20 to 1 most often the problem so I was told ) and the charging coil(more difficult). Problem of battery draining still exists. Your idea of a bad ground makes sense.
    Thanks

10. buckyptp

buckyptp LawnSite Member

I own a 2005 Tiger Cub with a 19hp Kawasaki engine.
    Had a similar problem. Here is what I found(the hard and expensive way)
    Number one: check the fuses $0.50.
    Number two: Change out the voltage regulator approx $45, an easy job.
    A tech told me that it prob is usually not the charging coil $85. They replace voltage regulators 20 to 1 over charging coils.
    Good Luck
    Bucky