Scag 48" FOR SALE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, May 2, 2005.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

The other day i drove by this paving company, and they had a 48" Scag mower for sale. it said $1500. i talked to the mechanic and asked if the owner would take $1000 cash. he called him and he said no, he wanted more. i said how about $1200. he said no $1300. I said $1250 cash he said ok. Well now i was wondering what to do, this thing had no hour meter. it was in good shape though, and it seemed to run fine, it even started on the first pull. the motor was very clean. Well i decided to call scag and find out just how old it was. The owner said it was six years old which could have been possible because it was in great shape. Well i called scag and found out it was a 93', so i passed it was 12yrs old and they werent even the origional owners so there could have been 1500 hrs on that thing for all i know. Was this a wise decision. and was that price of $1250 reasonable? :cool2:
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would of passed as well. A lot of things could need to be replaced being it's 12 years old. Looks can be deceiving.
  3. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

well if it runs good and looks good the chances of it having 1500 hours is slim cause most machines with 1500 hours on it are starting to look a pretty rough and starting to have some surface rust. I say it is a pretty decent buy if in good shape.
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

What was it? I assume a wb because of the pull start. What size/type engine? If it started, ran strong and looked good I think I'd have gone back armed with the age and tried for a better price. I'm running a 48" Skag wb, 17hp Kaw. going on the 3rd season. No problems and I don't even want to think of the age. Looked rough when I bought it in a package deal from some yahoo in south Chicago. The thing is built like a tank. Maybe I got lucky, but mine isn't for sale.

Good luck,
  5. C.Meece

C.Meece LawnSite Member
    from KY

I dont know if this will help but I just baught a scag hydro 52" with a 21 kaw with 1250 hrs on it and gave 2800 for it. It is an 02 model.