**Scag 48" Restoration**

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Brantley, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

I'm cleaning the transmission today and need to know what to look for as far as things that need replacing. I am surely going to replace the shift fork, as you can tell from the picture in previous post, because it is worn down a good bit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

Thank you, but I already have the cases split and the parts out. I just don't know what excessive west looks like because this is the first peerless I have messed with.

Posted via Mobile Device

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is the problem . The 3 shifting fingars should definitely be replaced.

5. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

What are the 3 shifting fingers?

Posted via Mobile Device

6. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

Now I am working on the front caster wheels. How in the heck am I supposed to remove the bolt from the wheels and brackets? Any ideas?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got to saw them off with sawzall the bolts usually won't come out. Bad design.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got to saw them off with sawzall the bolts usually won't come out. Bad design.

9. Brantley

Brantley LawnSite Member

10-4.

What do y'all think about Oregon or Stens Replacements belts instead of SCAG and RUSSO OEM Replacment Spindles?

10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Depends if you are going to use them or abuse them. Last year, one of our exmarks broke the big belt (June 2013), with in a month (July 2013) I had to replace it. I explained to the operator not to engage at full throttle, only at half throttle. That belt lasted to last Monday. (250 hours) Same operator, 1st day out cutting, he breaks that belt. Needless to say, we had another talk.

The original belt I replaced was OME, 700 hours plus before it broke. Now the other 4 exmarks, their Stens belts are lasting over 500 hours.....On our 8 WB, they are lasting over 1000 hours.