1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

scag 48" ultimate wb

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by NDG, Feb 20, 2010.

1. NDG

NDG LawnSite Member

hey guys i need some advice on this 48 ultimate walk behind im looking at buying. it is a 2005 or 2006. it has been used as a homeowners mower only. no hour meter, but looks to be in good condition. the guy only want 2000 for it. it seems like a steal as long as is works good. i just want some input on those walkbehind good or bad? how they mow on hills and handle in tight areas?

2. carguyrob

carguyrob LawnSite Member

is it a hydro? I think they quit making the swu belt drive before 06 or 07. I have run both versions and think they are very nice mowers. I think the biggest down side to them is the weight, I dunno how big of a guy you are but I'm 6' 225 and a weight lifter and there is a very noticeable difference between an ultimate and a fixed deck if you try to lift the front wheels for curb climbing etc. Also, the floating deck only kind of floats, it's mostly just for easy height adjustment. I would think 2000 is a very good price if it is in good shape and with the 17 kawi I'm assuming it has. Good luck!