scag 48WB hi lifts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr. k, Jul 6, 2004.

1. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

hey guys,

with my scag 48 WB the discharged grass continually clumps. The chute is off, i have run doubles, factory scag blades, gators, you name it and nothing seems to work. The next option is hi lifts only. I've heard good things about exmarks and bobcats hi lifts, but they are 16 1/4" blades and my scag uses 16 1/2" blades. I also heard the scags hi lifts are junk and don't even waste my money on them. Anyone have any suggestion. Thanks in advance.........

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--your skag 48 deck is probably very much like my LESCO 48 deck.

and after much experimentation, gators, doubles, etc, I have settled on single HIGH LIFTS, year round. period.

the dispersal pattern with the high lifts is awesome and they even re-cut grass under the deck before discharging.

I sharpen the blades practically everyday.

good luck.

GEO

3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Try high lift blades made for Bobcat. I use them on my 60" Scag and am very happy with them. One word of warning, they lower the height of the blade by about 1/2" so adjust your cutting height accordingly.

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a problem with my scag. Only clumps ina lot of heavy wet grass which is normal.

5. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Use the Scag hi-lifts or another brands hi-lifts. You will notice much improvement. And like geogunn said the scag deck is like Lesco's deck. I have both machines and only use hi-lifts.

Mulchers are only for the fall. Mulchers make the grass clump on discharge...

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

how we is the grass new grass old grass

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I have good results with the Scag brand hi-lifts. Also use a Scag brand super hi-lift on the discharge side. The super made all the difference in the spring with the heavier damp grass, keeping clumping to a minimum, and gives a huge dispersal pattern. Just gotta be sure to keep the chute at least 15-20 ft away from anywhere you don't want grass to go. BTW, this is on a 48 WB also.

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using HL blades from Mow More on my scag and really like them. Started useing them full time because of all the rain. http://www.mowmore.com/