Scag 52" Cheetah?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rob1325, Jul 21, 2013.

1. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use/have one? I'm replacing my 52" wildcat and thinking of getting a cheetah instead of tiger cat. I can't get a demo 52" Scag Cheetah to use, but used the full size 61" Scag Cheetah, which I like. If anyone has some insight about machine, please let me know. Also, I'm considering Kawasaki fx730 or Kohler 27 EFI motor. I'm leaning towards Kohler 27 EFI. Thanks

2. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

I purchased a Cheetah 61" (31 Kawasaki) about five weeks ago. I have three cuts in on my 3.5 acre property. Having cut this property for the last 18 years, I know it once took me 4 plus hours to cut. The Cheetah cuts the property in 1.5 hours....That's what the Cheetah did for me....

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

3. rob1325

I run turf tigers 61", when scag comes out with kohler EFI 34 hp on 61" cheetah I will maybe buy one.

All these views and no one has feedback on 52" Cheetah?

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a nice machine. The hydros are the smaller zt3400's that we have on a prostance - they are strong and have a nice feel to them but be advised the top speed is much slower on the 52

5. rob1325

How have the hydros held up for you on your machine? Never owned a machine with hydro/wheel motor together as one unit. Yes, the 52" is only 10.5 mph, which is little faster than my wildcat, but not as fast as full size cheetah. Thanks for info.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

They've been great so far but we've only put about 300 hrs on them so far since we got it in may. I love the way they feel - super smooth and no freewheeling

7. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

The scag rep brought one by my store to demo before they even came out. I liked it. Mowed well and had plenty of power for a 52''. The ZT3400s have plenty of response to control it in most situations. It isn't near as fast as the 61''/72'' cheetas. But it rode good and did everything well. Just didn't WOW me enough to sell them. It was pretty high priced. You could buy a Ferris 2000Z / 52'' with a Kawi FX801 for $800 less. I'd choose it before a ton of other brands tho. Good machine with scag quality

8. rob1325

I emailed Scag to see if I can get demo, and the area rep said he would try to find one for me. Though that was over three weeks ago.

9. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

I went to my dealer on a Tuesday requesting a demo. He readily agreed, indicating as soon as the unit was returned (an LCO was using it while his machine was being repaired) to the store, he would call me about the demo.

I received a call the following Tuesday, I picked up the unit on the Thursday and kept it all day, returned it on Friday. It was a Cheetah 61" (Vanguard 36) with 72 hours on the clock. The shop sharpened the blades for my demo. The tech admitted, this sharpening was the the first time for these oem blades (at 72 hours). The tech also admitted that the blades were not bad considering the length time used.

I was really pleased with this demo.

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag: