Scag 52 fixed deckw/b 21 Kawa horrible cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acm8705, Jul 3, 2007.

1. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

Scag 52" Hydro w/b, fixed Advantage deck, 21hp Kawasaki

I need help getting my new to me Scag to cut right. It leaves stragglers sticking up all over the place. The stragglers happen all over the cutting path, so that rules out the problem being with one of the blades. I would say that in a 40' strip there will be about 6-10 pieces of grass sticking up. It doesn't matter how slow I go either. The blades are sharp and the belts are tight as well.

Current setup:
    Mulching blades sharpened every 5 hours.
    All 4 spacers on the bottom of the castor wheels
    All 5 spacers on top of the spindle to give the highest cut possible
    The deck is in the highest position.

The mower is setup as high as I can get the blade.

My first thought was that the baffle underneath was pushing the grass to far down, so I took it off. Didn't change anything.

The blades are at an even cut from front to back (the blades look like this -). The manual says that the front tip of the blade should be about 1/8" lower than the back tip(the blades would look like this \ of course not so severe). Do you think that If I some how lower the front of the blades it will improve the cut?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow....what height are you cutting at? And your mulching? Your asking WAY too much of ANY mower.

What are your engine RPM's?

3. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how I'm asking too much out of the mower. I'm cutting at about 3 1/2".

I don't know what the rpm's are. I mow with the throttle at full. How can I know what the rpms are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Get a tach to check RPM's. www.tinytach.com

Give us a pic of where your deck bolts to the frame of the drive unit.

The setup you have pictured should have you WAY over 3 1/2" height of cut.

Get those gators off there. Use high lift SCAG marbane blades.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, those aren't even GATOR's...they're the cheap imitations. You basically have NO lift with that blade design.

6. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

By no lift, do you mean that the blade isn't creating a suction to pull the grass up into the blade?

Or does lift mean that the already cut grass is lifted away from the cutting surface?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Both. Without lift sails on the blades, you cant vacuum up the grass prior to cutting it. GATORS are for fall leaf mulching. The look-a-likes are only good for a double blade setup.

How about that picture of where your deck bolts up?

8. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

If Its Bahia Grass You Are Cutting Way Too High-lower The Deck

9. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Get rid of those blades,tried them once,terrible cut. Go with regular factory blades and lower your height. Try two spacers below the spindel . On the castor try three on the bottom and one on the top and go from there.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I use almost the same setup as Steppenwolf, only I have 3 spacers between the spindle and the blades.

3 1/4" height of cut with a nice 1/8" pitch.