1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag 52" question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobertCT, Jan 14, 2005.

1. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

I am about to purchase a new 2004 Scag Tiger Cub with a 52" deck and a Honda 24 hp engine for $6500. I am impressed with the dealer and expect good service down the road. However, I remember seeing a post in the past commenting on possible problems with some Honda engines. Does anyone have any details? I have heard these engines may take a moment to warm up because of emissions requirements, but nothing else. Thanks
  2. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the exact same mower last November. I have over 500 hours on the Honda and haven't had a problem with it yet. I does take a minute for it to warm up on a really cold morning but it's not a bad idea to let any motor warm up anyway.
  3. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I thought this was a question about a 52" Scag and I own one of those, but I guess it's actually a question about Honda 24 H. P. engines and I don't own any of those.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I have heard of people have great luck with the Honda's, have heard of people having electrical problems with them, and have heard people say they just would not buy one. I think they are good engines but we always buy american made engines so we use all Kohler and never have any problems but i wouldn't be afraid to get one. My advice to you is go for it and if you do have a problem then you have a great dealer to fix the problem and get you running again. Hope that helps.
  5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I have two these machines and they are great.

Over 600 hours on one, 100 on the other. Not an issue!

If you are looking for a used one, I am selling the 107 hour unit with the Scag triple bagger. I need to get another Walker for this years accounts.

Good luck.
  6. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the ressponses. I will go for it tomorrow, buy it & get back to everyone on dealer responses.
  7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a great price we were quoted $7400 for a Tiger cub with a 24honda last year. We ended up buying another 48in Tiger Cub 19kawasaki because we didnt want to pay the extra $1400 for the 52. We have demoed a 52 Tiger Cub with a 24 honda and a 23 kawasaki (both same price I think). We thought that the kawasaki had more torque in thick grass than the honda, but we really like how quite the honda was. Both our our tiger cubs have kawasaki's so we have only had limited use with the honda for about 3 days. Overall it just comes down to which motor you prefer, I think we are just use to our Kawasaki's.
  8. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

Done Deal ! Bought Scag 52 w/ 24 Honda today - The engine took about 5 to 8 minutes to warm up in these cold temps ( 30 degrees) plus it is still new. I expect it will take 2 to 3 minutes during warmer months and after it is broken in. I agree the price is very good for this left over new 2004 when compared to the 2005 pricing.

The dealer mentioned that equal rear tire pressure - or even wheel circumference - is essential to preventing the mower from pulling to right or left, and may be noticable with only a few pounds difference? Otherwise, no other concerns were mentioned unless others know of any?

I forgot to ask the dealer, but I recall a prior post mentioning an operator controlled discharge shute ( OCDC ). Does anyone how it works ? And, how good is the metal 4 cu. grass catcher?

As a first time buyer of a ZTR, I consider the scag 52 a fine, well built and straight forward designed machine. For me, there is no looking back at the other brands I compared it to - even if I did spend a grand over budget.

Thanks for the help
  9. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the Scag, I've been very pleased with mine. Not sure what to tell ya on the ocdc, maybe try the Badboy website I think I remember someone saying they manufacture an ocdc that would work on Scag. Just a tip, you may want to put some high lift blades on for the spring if you haven't already. Enjoy the machine! :D
  10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For an OCDC I would suggest a ACS Advanced Chute System that you can get through Bad Boy or meg-mo either one. Go to www.badboymowers.com and another good one is a Quickchute. I think the website is www.quickchute.com but i'm not for sure. I'd say both of them would work good for you. Hope that helps.