1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag 52" wilcat or 52" turf tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TONTAGE, Apr 2, 2010.

1. TONTAGE

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

if $$ were no object and you had to choose between a 52" wildcat 26 kawi liquid or a 52" Turf Tiger 27 HP air cooled kohler,which would you choose?forget about the weight as the turf tiger is about 100 pounds heavier.keep in mind 61" is too big for me.
    thanks in advance

2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I just like the horitzontal mtr better. But I have a vertical shaft 27 Kohler. It seems they are all going to air cooled and vertical shaft now. Alot less to worry about with the air cooled. And 26-27hp is overkill on a 52 in my book so power on either one is not a problem.

3. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Turf tiger handles much better

4. TONTAGE

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

thanks for the replies

5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the difference in the handling? Hydros, size, deck?

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Lower center of gravity, with the tank below the seat.

7. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Also longer wheel base helps alot too

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

For me, I would only lean toward the TT if it had a 61 inch deck. If a 52 is the largest you can use then a Wildcat would be my choice. Why, trim side on the deck. A 52in TT isn't going to have ANY trim capability with the narrow deck and wide rear wheel width. If using it to get closer to stuff isn't necessary then I'd get the TT for the hill holding capabilities and the cool looking tiger stripe rear fenders. :D I have a Tiger Cub with a 25 Kohler and the 61in deck. Trim is great with it but it's not real sure footed on hills, especially with worn rear tires.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, a 52" deck would not have much on the trim side with a Turf Tiger. Better go with the Wildcat unless you have very steep area's.

10. TONTAGE

TONTAGE LawnSite Member
    from CT

thanks guys for the replies.as far as the trim factor,are you saying that if i go with the turf tiger i will have to trim more cause i wont be able to get as close as if i went with a wildcat?
    thanks again