1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag 52" wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by braboine, May 3, 2011.

1. braboine

braboine LawnSite Member

I have a 52" scag that is probably a 90s model that is giving me trouble. Last year it was cutting fine and then just turned off on me. So I would let it sit and go back and it would turn on sometimes. Eventually it turned off and that was that. Wouldnt start no more. That was end of last summer. Well I replaced the igniter, the spark plug, and this morning the coil -21121-2070. The motor is a fc420v-cs09. It appears that Im still getting no spark so I have no idea what is wrong. Hopefully someone can help. Much appreciated thanks

2. weapons of grass destruction

weapons of grass destruction LawnSite Member

Check all safety switches.
    Blade engagement switch,
    kill switch

3. braboine

braboine LawnSite Member

I figured id add to this thread since I ended up putting the scag to the side. Im starting to look into it some more. Hopefully someone can help.

I did get it to eventually start but it would die out when the blades were engaged. Not always right away but when it warmed it. After a few months of it sitting, I can only get it to start with starting fluid. It runs for a few then it dies. Also when its running, it sounds very rough. I have done all the easy stuff. oil, oil filter, hydro oil, hydro filter, cleaned carbs, coil, ignitor, spark plug. any ideas. leaning towards sheared flywheel or bent valve possibly. These are wild guesses. any help would be appreciated.

Also: when pulling the cord, sometimes it won't recoil. When you loosen the 4 screws, its not a problem. also when you remove the spark plug, it seemed easy too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011