Scag 61" 29hp impressions....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ST350, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ST350

ST350 LawnSite Member

Well I just got my new mower Thursday and have cut about 20 lawns with it so far. First off, what a nice upgrade from the previous SCAG Tiger Cub's I was using. I find myself reaching for the old controls on the tiger cub, but I dont miss the cub at all. The cub had a 52" deck for reference.

First off the kawi DFI (fuel injection) is very nice. The engine fires right up and sounds very smooth and much quieter than my old 23 hp kawi. At full throttle the machine just sounds mean and powerful. Clearly, the power is there and plenty of it. The larger hydro pumps allow for much more control on hills and the engine has no problem ascending them.

The suspension seat which is only available on 29hp+ models is amazing, I have never experienced such a nice ride. Now the cut to sum it up....unbelievable. I know I can not speak for all, but the way my lawns came out was amazing to me. I even had to get some of my favorite customers and show them around the yard just so they could share this experience with me. They were thoroughly impressed. Only thing I havent used yet is that cupholder, gonna be a nice feature with the hot summer approaching.

To sum it up. I love this mower, I would recommend it based on the few days I have had it. I think Scag has fixed many issues from the past and created a very nice mower. Cant wait to get back on it, its pouring here today. Have a great night everyone.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing better than a product exceeding your expectations after laying down that kind of money. Glad to hear it, nice to hear someone thats happy with a purchase for a change. I'm curious how much that cost you down there. I priced them here but ended up going with new efi buntons instead. Enjoy the new mower.!!!
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds great St. I had the oportunity to test one of them out and was impressed at how well they hold on hills as well. We use mostly walk behinds because of the type of mowing we normally do (hills & slopes).
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the same mower last year and I share your feelings. You'll also notice better fuel efficiency.
  5. Lawn Masters LC

Lawn Masters LC LawnSite Member

We have a Turf Tiger 23 hp liquid cooled Kawi and a Tiger Cub 25 hp Kawi, both 61". Just added a striping kit to both. We LOVE them. The striping kit is definitely worth the $$.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That sounds good, Dang I brag on my tiger cub and think its a cadillac. I would like to move up to a 61'' deck in the future and another member on here (homer) tried out a wildcat with a 61'' deck and had some scalping issues with it and thinks it is because of the size deck and the wildcat being on the same scale as the tiger cub. The length of the frame is so short and may cause it as where the frame is longer and works much better on the turf tiger. Keep us posted on the machine, Im gonna be looking for another scag in about 3 years and would like to know how you like it then
  7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

O.k. I'll play the devil's avocate here...the cupholder is useless(fall right out of the back side) motor seems louder than my old turf tiger with LC Kaw.
    seems to use more fuel than my old scag...the seat is lower than my kubota zd28 and alittle uncomfortable (but I think I'm leaning forward to compensate) every time I throttle down to fast the engine does have a nice cut and plenty of power. paid 10, the way I do thing scag builds one of the best ztrs and I've owned most of them...
  8. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

My hands love ours. First suspension seat we have had and they love it. I mowed my 6 acres on twice and it was pretty nice. Lots of power and holds the hills a lot better than any of our other machines. i did put the front end in my pond the first time I mowed with it. Felt pretty bad seeing half of the mower under water. Anyhow, I would recommend the same dfi machine to anyone.
  9. ST350

ST350 LawnSite Member

I have to say that the mower definitely exceeded my expectations. From what I gather on this website a lot of people prefer exmark, but you would be hard pressed to see a lot of exmark equipment around here. Most people run SCAG, must be the area????? I am in Fairfield County in Connecticut by the way.

I paid 10,200 out the door, with some extra blades, air filter and oil change (filter and oil). I really like this machine a lot.

The Tiger Cub was a nice mower, I just feel like I outgrew it. I like the additional power of the Turf Tiger, as well as the bigger machine. I think the scalping issues on the wildcat and cub result from the smaller frame.
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

One of my customers retired and moved here from connecticut. The 1st year I cut his property was with a toro walkbehind. The next year was with my scag tiger cub. He said all you see in connecticut were scags and that mine was the first he has seen down here. Toro, Exmark and JD cover most of the market here where I live, but I am a beleiver in Scag