1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag 61 Hydro ZT? Should I get this...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJ0000, Jun 23, 2005.

1. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

...or something smaller? Why or Why not? I saw one for sale with about 800-1200 hrs. on it... Is 1600 a good price?
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

A good thing to factor is size, you may need a trim mower as well if you have to get in the gates. Your price range, don't go all out on a mower and then go cheap on trimmers, edgers and a blower, you will have a lot of downtime with cheap 2 cycle equipment. Scag dealers, make sure that if you get a used scag that there is a dealer in your area, you don't want to have to drive all over town for parts and service. I have not priced new or used scags, so I don't know if its a deal or not. I will tell you this my friend has the Turf Tiger and he loves it. They have a great cut and are tough machines.
  3. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

My price range for equipment at the moment is about 2k... Is this not enough to start with not including the trailer & truck? I was going with getting a used Scag WB mower but is there a better priced alternative? Even a used Exmark is above budget...
  4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I would not buy any used equipment over 600hrs on them...you said 1200 ? I would not, the hydro pump, belts, pulley, spring, and spindles have to be serviced and that cost money...why would you spend more money fixing them, but instead get a machine with lesser hrs without overhauling follow-up repair?