1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag 61 SWZ with 16HP Underpowered? ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gadfreak, May 13, 2004.

1. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

I'm looking at a USED Scag SWZ hydro with 61" Floating deck. It has a 16HP B & S Vanguard engine on it. The engine is new. Is it underpowered or not? I spoke to the dealer and of course he said that it would be just fine. The older models don't have the bigger engines like they do now.

Any help wold be appreciated as I don't want to buy something that isn't going to work the way I want it to.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Wow. I would say so. I would want 25 at the least on that one.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While severely underpowered, remember, a walkbehind is just that....something to WALK behind. You won't be mowing at 7-9mph as the ZTR's do, you'll likely be walking at 3 mph, and at that pace, from the factory, the 16hp was adequate.

The 16hp Briggs Vanguard was a GOOD engine with lots of torque. Today this model with a 61" deck uses a 21hp Kawi.

On re-read.....You say its a "61" Floating deck." That would be a SWZU And with that shouldn't be all that old. I'd say less than 5 years old. Ask to mow with it. Take it through some thick stuff and see how you like it.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Will you be walking or riding a sulky?
    Will you ever want to use double blades?

If walking and using regular single blades and mowing normal growth I beleive it would be fine. If you ever graduate to a sulky you WILL be underpowered. I have a 17hp V twin Kawasaki on my 52" eXmark hydro and it's not always enough for me (with a sulky) but it does great and if I were walking it'd be more than enough. I used to have an old Scag 52” with a 14hp single cylinder Kawasaki and it did fine if you were walking behind it, but if you were riding a sulky it still did OK, just couldn’t mow real fast with it and it’d lug down in tall/thick stuff pretty bad. The eXmark will lug in tall stuff too but it has a lot more power in that type conditions. I think if you mow often enough to keep the grass down and you’re not pulling a sulky you’ll be ok. You won’t be able to run double blades. I’d want at least a 19hp on it but if you’re getting a great deal and are only walking behind it then it’d be fine for you.
  5. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

It has a sulky but I don't think I'll be using it. I was just going to keep this as a personal mower for like a 2 acre lawn at the house. I'm not going to use it for the business. It is a SWZ-16BV. I was told its a 1993 model. It has a new motor and he is asking $1800.00. I was thinking of offering 1400.00 after he lets me try it out.

Thanks alot guys this place was a nice find!