Scag 61" Turf Tiger 31 Kohler Price Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shovelracer, Mar 20, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Im in need of a new ZTR for this season and Ive decided it will be a Scag TT 61" with the 31 Kohler. Basically due to local service Im narrowed to Exmark and Scag. I havent been real impressed with what exmark has done in the past 2-3 years so theres your answer. Anyways my dealer was building one for a demo that I was supposed to drive today. I showed up it was being loaded onto a trailer. The owner who I normally make large purchases with was not there and the sales guy wanted me to buy and pay for the next one right there. I wont do that cause the kid wont ever go below MSRP and the owner usually helps out quite a bit. Anyways has anyone gotten prices on this mower yet. It would be a 2008 Scag TT 61" with the turf striper and the 3 bag vac unit. What is MSRP and what is the buddy price of this machine. Any other thoughts welcome. Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

STT61V-31CH-EFI-SAS is $11K....it is the only 31HP on the Scag list.

3. Lurch123

Lurch123 LawnSite Member

Book retail down here on the STT61V-31EFISS is 12499.99
    Striper kit retail is 369.99
    16 bushel 3 bag spindle drive vac retail is 2399.99

Buddy price would depend how much of a buddy the dealer is, I guess...

4. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

Just bought the 61" STT and I opted for the 29 Kaw/DFI and check out the fuel consumption between the two. The 29 gets 1.6 hrs. of run time per gal.

It's just 2 HP and you'll save 3-500.00 bucks :confused:

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Ive been turned away from the 29 Kawi. Supposedly it gets real good fuel usage, but it a real slug. If this is true I would imaging that it is cause it is greatly restricted to get the good fuel numbers, meaning that it would greatly decrease in performance as filters start getting dirty. No speach on maintenance necessary. With that said I have had a fair number of both kohler and kawis, and the kawis are better when new, but the kohlers run better later in life. They seems to be less costly over the life of the engine, although more tempermental as well. So all said and done I should be looking at 13500-14.

6. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I think Scag rates the 29DFI as 1.6 GPH, not HPG. That's a big difference. :)

They have the 31EFI LC Kohler listed as 1.6gph also. That's pretty impressive!

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Tiger is a great choice. What you say about the 29 Kawasaki isn't what I'm hearing from owners and dealers here and on LawnSite. It's been a powerful trouble free engine so far. I have the 31 Briggs and have tested the 35 Briggs and they have much more torque and power than the 29 Kaw but I wouldn't say they are a better engine. I tested my fuel economy last year and I was getting 1.3 to 1.5 gallons per hour (GPH) though this may go up if we get any rain this year, the grass wasn't very lush during Summer. I just don't know anything about the 31 Kohler because it hasn't been on the market long enough. I know the 28 efi Kohler is a favorite. Good luck.

8. tacoma200

I hope Kohler has done more home work on the 31 Kohler than they did on the 30 Kohler. Over all though Kohler has a very long track record. LCO's that have been running fleets for over a decade say they expect 2500-3000 hrs on Kohlers with proper maintenance. My source for that information is Walkers magazine and based on the 27 hp Kohler on the Walkers.

9. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

The new Kohler 31 looks to be a completely new line. I have not seen one, only read some on it but it sure looks nice on paper. http://www.scag.com/turftiger31EFI.html
    I noticed several ATV brands are using that engine this year, if that matters.

10. tacoma200

Yes it looks good! 3 year limited warranty, they must have confidence in the design. Time will tell.