Scag 61

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Leroy Cook, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Leroy Cook

Leroy Cook LawnSite Member

I am working on a Scag 61 in deck with a 27 HP Kohler engine. When I engauge the baldes the Drive Shaft makes a loud noies. With the Deck up it is normal. This is the U joints bad in the Drive Shaft. I checked with Scag and they only sell the complete assembly. I just need the U Joints!

Has anyone ever replaced these U joints. If so what is the part number?

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd just replace the whole shaft. I know its salty but its worth it
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. viper8524

viper8524 LawnSite Member

while working on it, take a good look at the rear frame plate(where pumps and drive shaft spindle mounts). The turf tigers are bad for cracks on the rear plate from drive shaft and its spindle vibrations when run like that for a bit.

4. Leroy Cook

Leroy Cook LawnSite Member

Why would I replace the hole shaft when I need U joints? What I have ask has anyone found the part number of the U Joints that Scag uses?

I am removing the shaft today and I will inspect the mounting to check for cracks. The grease fitting are so hard to get to no wonder the bearings went out!

5. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Well how much time are u wasting looking for the parts? If you turn the shaft the grease fittings aren't that hard to get at
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Tooo hard to grease.....not really. Got to lay on your back to get three of them. Simple screw driver to rotate shaft. Drop deck down to get front one.

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Usually any farm store carrys them for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Bob MacGregor

Bob MacGregor LawnSite Member

I'm not familiar with Turf Tigers, but I suspect that the cross and bearings are of a small overall diameter. What this means is that they don't disassemble and reassemble in the same way as a regular cross and bearing. Special tools are needed to disassemble and reassemble them on a press and a second person is needed to hold the shaft as the cups are pressed into the correct position. Then the assembly needs to be supported as the cups are repositioned so they have no contact with the tips of the cross otherwise the shaft will vibrate. Years back I worked in a shop that had the proper tools to do this job and did many small cross and larger cross and bearing replacements and shaft assembly balancing. It can be a touchy and frustrating job. The incorrect positioning of the grease fittings can screw up the balance. When the shaft as a complete assembly is still available, it is usually less expensive than a shop rework. This shop was capable of making up almost any size/type of driveshaft and balancing it. This shop has lathes, specialty presses, rotary welding machines and a balancing machine. They can also cut splines on a shaft and heat treat the final piece.:usflag:

9. bvillefarm

bvillefarm LawnSite Member

Scag does make a cross kit for the driveshafts. The part number is 482229. We sell them for $52.