scag advantage cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Godfather, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

Hey guys, i was wondering where the front baffle was to get the best cut. It has a baffle along the front edge of the mower, probably for suction/ vaccum. Also should the blades be low in the deck or high. And a presume i want 0-.25" of foreward deck pitch. Thanks

2. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

My baffel is set up all the way..... causes some blowout but up here thats where i get best cut if you can get a good cut with the(dis) advantage deck now on the other hand i have a new velocity plus deck on another machine and its the best deck scag has come out with and again baffels are set all the way up. On my 03 advantage deck i removed turbo baffel from rear to help get grass out from under the deck fast . It really opens discharge opening up a bunch

3. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

do you have the blades low or high in the deck?

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have mine set on the middle setting and the deck is level all the way around. Stipes good and really does good on leaves in the fall. And it is the Advantage deck.

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I used same spacer That it came from factory with

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They have mine set all the way down for this area. Seems to give it more lift and you need it with the poor quality of turf in this area ( lots of weed and grass lays down here and needs lifting before cutting). I use Scag high lifts. If I were mowing pure turf grass I may move it to the center but there's not a lot of perfect lawns here. I still have the turbo baffle in place and it gets rid of grass fine here and the deck rarely ever has any build up.

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

In the spring, I had my baffle all the way up, Summer was in the middle or all the way down, and fall was always all the way down. Had my deck a 1/3 " pitch to the front and found the best blade set up to be a 3" wide high lift on the non-discharge side, a regular high lift in the middle, and either a regular high lift or a gator blade on the discharge side. Sounds kind of weird with my blade set up, but I always tried to find the best combination. I also wremoved the turbo baffle in spring and early summer due to grass compaction and replaced it in the middle of summer when it started drying out.