Scag Advantage Cutter Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scraper, Apr 23, 2000.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I am purchasing a new 52&quot; this week and have the option of the &quot;Advantage&quot; cutter deck or the stock cutter deck. Have any of you Scag operators ever tried one out and if so what did you think? Better or worse? It claims to minimize blow-out and improves the quality of cut when cutting extra tough, tall grass. The deck itself appears to be have sloped sides as opposed to straight up and down which I guess would allow the grass or weeds a chance to stand up prior to being cut. Please advise if you can!<p>Thanks!!!

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Scraper, if I recall that deck was originally called a &quot;bahai&quot; deck. It was designed to mow the tall wiry bahai found in the southeast, their standard deck won't cut it worth a crap, I own a Super Z and know this for a fact. I have never heard that the &quot;advantage&quot; deck did what it eas supposed to but I don't know if you would really need one where you are at. You're right,it was designed so the grass would stand up once it got in the deck so that it could be cut. Bahai grass is so stiff it will lay down on a regular Scag deck and the blades pass right over it. I now own 2 Choppers and bahai is no longer a problem. <p>Homer

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I know someone who just got one of those and i used it for about a day and it seemed reel good. cut nice and it does reduce blow out a little. the hole machine was nice. I liked the 17 kawi runs good. take of the grass shout though it just windrows all the clippings.

4. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

the idea behind the advantage deck seems to be a good one, it should help out a little.<br>what are you paying for your 52&quot;?? hydro/belt? you can now get the 52&quot; with the small engine frame liek the 48&quot;, which are you getting? SCAG has a lot of options now. i think you can even get the advantage deck on the SCAG Ultimate. what ever you do go with the 17hp kawi. I have the 17hp kawi on my 48 and it's great. more power ARRH ARRH ARRH.<br>good luck with it and let us know what you get, and how much $$ too. <br>

5. Scraper

ZYAL8R: I got the 52&quot; Hydro and went with the 17HP Kawi (passed on the electric start since if that goes down I'm screwed in the field, trust my arm to pull start it more). Weird thing was that the only deck option was the Advantage if I went with the 17HP pull start. If I went with the electric I had deck choice. Go figure. By going with the pull start I saved $400. Total out of pocket (well I financed) $5k. The dealer had never used the Advantage deck, but he said it looks like Scag may totally switch all their models to this new deck in the near future.<p>Homer: I'll let you know how the Advantage works up here in PA. Hope it cuts it or else I'm gonna be a little peeved to say the least!

6. TylerAssociatesLLC

TylerAssociatesLLC LawnSite Member

where in PA do you guys live? <br>did you get the regular SCAG or the ultimate with the adjustable height? <br>how is the financing??<br>good luck with it, the 17hp kawi is a good engine

7. Scraper

Tyler: I am outside of Filthadelphia towards Delaware. The financing is great. No interest or payments until September. Heck by then it will have paid for itself. I think the interest rate was 18% and if it's not paid in full by September you pay back interest. If I haven't paid for it by then because I've bought more &quot;toys&quot; I'll probably pay it off with my credit card and save nearly 10% on interest. I got the SWZ hydro drive scag with the advantage deck. I'll let ya'll know how it works. I pick it up Wednesday night.<p>P.S. Thanks to all who posted me about the 17hp Kawi.. Had it not been for the posts I might have opted for the 20 HP Kohler.

8. Gunner

Gunner LawnSite Member

Scaper, I recently purchased a belt drive Scag with the 17hp kawi,pullstart, and the advantage deck. It cuts great. Have only had one problem with it. About the 3rd time I tried to start it, it would not crank. Called my dealer who told me Scag was experiencing some problems with the safety switch. The way to fix this is to undo the safety plug and then punch out the &quot;microswitch&quot; inside of it. (The problem is with the microswitch; not with the regular switch.) Once you have done this, just plug it back in. The safety switch will continue to work. I have not had any problems since I did this.

9. TylerAssociatesLLC

TylerAssociatesLLC LawnSite Member

gunner: how does the advantage compare to the regular deck? how much did you pay?<br>thanks, and good luck

10. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

I just bought a 48&quot; hydro w/ the 17 Kaw.<br>How is the Kaw holding up?