Scag Advantage Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rblantonjr, May 14, 2008.

1. rblantonjr

rblantonjr LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Tiger Cub with a 48" advantage deck. The deck is constantly stopping up with grass clippings. I have used products like Mo-deck and WD-40 on the deck to try and stop the build up. I am running a standard blade on the deck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This may sound dumb but it builds up on my two units....but they cut just fine and it eventually cleans up just fine. And I have outlet closed.

3. rblantonjr

The build is excessive and the cut quality becomes poor.

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Mabye gator blades would help what kind of grass?

5. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Yea i am having the same problem with my Walkbehind Scag. It could be it doesnt have enough hp? I think that is my case :hammerhead:

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you run single or double blades?? Mine is ok with doubles.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Advantage deck, 52", on my Tiger Cub. It has highlifts on, and does very well in the wet. It actually did better as far as clippings dispersal and less clumps than my Velocity deck on my walk behind. If you havent already, take the turbo baffle out, which is right on the back of the discharge chute. I took mine off and it opened up the discharge area similar to the Velocity deck

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I had trouble with the Scag 48" velocity deck used Gator high lift blades, and their was always clumping up on the underside; consequently leaving grass clumps on the turf:cry: tried the front baffle on all three bolt holes did not matter what position the baffle was in, nothing improved the decks performance just for the record, middle baffle position was the optimum setting. We kept the underside of the decks clean daily, still they would clump. Through a season of mulching I came to the conclusion it's to much exta work dealing with the decks clogging up, and the trails of grass clumps, double cutting. I swear you guys talk about grass collection being a pain, don't knock it, much easier than dealing with Mulching decks & baffle postions, and is the grass to wet to mulch. Rain or shine the Walker GHS can handle the grass conditions. I sure would love to hear what causes this just to know why.

9. rblantonjr

I put a set of high lift blades on today and used a sample can of Fluid Film. I had very little build up today. This may be the key.

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Been using the Fluid Film since 2000, die hard user of FF, and that really is not going to help with excessive clumping anyway. Mulching requires high HP & torque, and while more HP is better you can only beat & mulch the grass into submission so much in "real world" commercial mowing their will be conditions that cause clumping or double cutting if you need that manicured look. I save my wide area's for SD, and still get a better cut than when mulching.