Scag Advantage decks and poor quality of cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnfella, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

Does anyone like the quality of cut with an Advantage deck? I've ran a Turf Tiger for 3 years and thought nothing about the way it cut untill I demoed a Lazer Z last summer. The Lazer cut soo much cleaner without leaving any uncut blades of grass. I cannot say that about my Turf Tiger, especially where the front tires run there is always uncut grass in the front tire tracks. If Scag would improve their quality of cut the they might be "Simply The Best".

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two scags with the advantage deck one on a tiger cub 48 and one on a walk behind 48.I have not had the problems you stated.Actually i think they stripe great only time there is a problem is when the grass is very wet those decks seem to clog up fast and spit out chunks.The advantage decks have three different baffle settings you can adjust for the type of grass/conditions you have maybe that can help?Maybe the striping roller would help to? i dont have one but i hear they work really good.

3. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

I have two scag W/B's. One is a 36 1997 and is a tank. It was the first mower that I started my business with and still cranks and cuts great. I love my scags. I have not had any problems with them. I am looking to purchase a ZTR scag. Just have not made up my mind with it.

4. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Check your deck pitch per the manual. That seems to have an impact on quality of cut. Also, old blades that are sort of rounded on the ends may decrease the quality of cut. The baffles as mentioned by JT also effect the quality of cut.

5. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

on a 52 inch deck or larger try running bobcat highlift offset blades , they seem to help alot

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Please explain what you mean by offset. I've never heard of an offset mower blade.

7. BOTURF

They are not what you call straight across .... where they spindle bolt hole is is raised and the actual cutting part is lower than the rest i dont have a pic but i think i ordered mine from www.Landscapersupply.com and the part number is 22110 it does show a pic too ( part number is for a 52 inch scag and bobcat deck ) be sure and check your blade lengths to see if they are interchangeable

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a normal mulching blade.

9. BOTURF

They dont call it a mulching blade its called a new style formed blade ( xm series)

10. TGIB

TGIB LawnSite Member

I don't know why you are having some problems , but I haven't seen any mower yet that will cut better than my Tiger.

If your Scag is new enough to have the adjustable front air baffle in the mower deck - what height is it set at ?

Just as an experamint, try moving that baffle DOWN to its lowest setting and see if there is an improvemnt in the cut.